Quercus in Trouble Part Deux

CurSedVoyce

California Hillbilly
Some here may recall this thread and tree from back in May when we first looked at the tree. http://www.masterblasterhome.com/showthread.php?t=14746&highlight=quercus+troubleHO made decisions on it and we had it scheduled for today.
IMHO this is a stage one removal and I hope the tree and/or the HO's surprise me.
The landscaping, terracing and wall are not going to be changed other than the water. They cut it off to that part of the yard. They may mulch around the tree themselves... I am not holding my breath.
We were basically hired to do a crown reduction, dead wood and lift. There is also a pine tree and live oak close by that needed some more room.. We pruned the oak back to allow for more light.

Some before pics from today..
In May the Blue Oak had not quite leafed out yet. We waited for cooler weather and a full leafing to make decisions on the health of certain limbs.
As you can see, one side is a tad healthier than the other..
The HO is hoping that the RZ that is more healthy from lack of disturbance and water may support less tree. Possibly saving it. We'll see...

DSC_0471.JPG DSC_0473.JPG DSC_0474.JPG

Some afters....
DSC_0475.JPG DSC_0476.JPG

I just took off enough if in the event of failure.. the house and service should not have a problem (12-15 feet). This tree is now on a maintenance schedule with us. If the tree does in fact continue to die off, we will be the crew to manage it. I will get some follow up pics next year as she leafs out :)

Comments, advise or critique are welcome brothers and sisters :D
Ahhhhh the things we do for money ....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Right now some are starting to yellow prior to leaf drop for fall. Pretty typical this time of year. Still ain't vigorous though.
I was actually surprised to see acorns on it...

Many plants will expend extraordinary amounts of energy producing seed when the plant is stressed. It's nature's way of perpetuating the species.

That is some good fact to know. The oaks are doing phenomenal this year. It will also be a good acorn year. There is a surplus of the nasty California prionus beetle this year. Without an RCX ..... we'll never know. The larvae love roots.. Nasty little borers.
My absolute feeling on the tree is reflected in the first thread I put the link to. Watered to death and the landscaping and wall in the RZ. At least they stopped watering the lawn near the tree.

No surprise, the dead branches over the yard.

Easy climb, sharp saw; what more could you ask for?

They really didn't like those lower limbs, huh?

The ones that shade the roots and give lot's of food to the roots?

I'm constantly arguing about taking healthy lower limbs and leaving the dying limbs in the top, but I lose that argument about 90% of the time. :(

Lady of the house should have been willing to compromise on raising those lower limbs instead of outreight removal. I agree with KAH.

That's an interesting statement Guy. Potential clients should be willing to think that my bid is the best one. Fact is when dealing with people "shoulda," can be a pipe dream.

Update on this oak... I talked to the home owners the other day. They have been having some money issues and had to cancel a gray pine TD. According to them, the tree has leafed out much more this year since it was pruned and the water cut off above it. I have yet to stop by and get pictures. Just not been in the area and it's a ways out. I will see what I can do when I venture out that way next. I just have a feeling that the leaves are going to start dropping and turn soon on these oaks here. The blue oaks have already started as have some of the black oaks. They were also going to mulch the RZ below the wall .... Hope they followed through.

Back