My trip to California

When the economy improves, we need to get a treehouse fund going to send the nice couple to a romantic hideaway. I'm in for fifty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If I saw you hitchhiking around here, I'd pick you up for sure, Jerry.
No the CD hasn't arrived yet,but the danish mail is notorious for being slow.

Burnham, my trip down the coast was fine. When I left Sandy( that's a town, guys,so don't get all excited now!!) in the morning, it was cloudy and raining, so I took I5 down to Eugene and then headed out to Florence. It was sunny on the coast, and the ride south was just as fine as a ride in an open sportcar along the west coast is supposed to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've lived in Humboldt county, California in two periods for about 2½ years total, back in 81 when I first stayed there, I wasn't a treeclimber. I didn't get my license until 83 and in 88-89 for some reason, the idea of climbing a Redwood never occured to me.
I've been wanting to do this thing for the last 10 years, but have always failed for lack of someone to do it with. I didn't want to just go out in the woods by myself and climb a monster tree.
I've tried to set it up several times, but my co-climbers have backed out.
Richard and Anders were the reason it came to be this time, and I'm really grateful for that.
As Anders ( damned kid!) pointed out, It was high time, I don't have that many active years left as a climber, my knees are starting to give me a LOT of trouble.
But I made it in time, and believe me, it was worth the wait!!

Thanks, HC. I am convinced a trip to Europe would be a most wonderful experience. There are many people there that I have befriended through the trade shows and internet. Many of which I have not yet met personally. Like yourself.

It's not a matter of if, it is a matter of when. And when that time comes I will plan it to meet and spend time with all that I can.

And really, the nice thing about going to Europe will be having the best guides and hospitality available from all of you over there.

I feel more visits like Stig's are in the future here too. Now that I'm retired making time for such things isn't so much of an issue. Though my sweetheart must still plan her time more carefully. I don't want to do anything without her.

Awesome pics and description of your holidays Stig. Wow, amazing time. Good for you!

My daughter was very impressed by your black belt.

Jerry, the pictures have made it here. I was afraid the incompetent mailservice that we have here, would lose them.
They are really good, thank you.

I wish that the pictures of your Stihl T-shirts would have shown up better, but one or two may be usable still.

Feel free to copy and share with friends, Stig. Consider them your pictures.

Here are e few of the pictures Jerry took while we were climbing the Coombs and goose Ridge trees:

Attachments

• stig 001.jpg
    stig 001.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 36
  • stig 11r.jpg
    stig 11r.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 38
  • stig 029.jpg
    stig 029.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 38
  • stig 034.jpg
    stig 034.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 38
  • stig 068.jpg
    stig 068.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 37
Nope, pretty easy in fact:)

If any of you ever go up to Mount Hood in Oregon, make sure to visit the Timberline Lodge. It is a fantastic place, build as a "make work"project during the depression in the 30es, using old builders crafts.
Normally americans go to Europe to look at old buildings and Europeans go to the US to enjoy nature, but this wonderful building really got this European going. Of course the setting, right at the timberline on Mt. Hood made it extra spectacular.
Burnham took me up there and gave me a tour of the place, I can only recommend the experience.
Wish I had some better pics. Maybe Burnham can help out?

Attachments

• P1030002.JPG
    P1030002.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 83
  • P1030003.JPG
    P1030003.JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 83

Attachments

• lodgesnow.jpg
    lodgesnow.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 79
Thanks for a good time, Jerry. It's was two very spectacular trees. Two climbs I will never forget. Wish I could go for a walk/climb in that kind of forrest more often. And thanks for the pictures. My family and freinds was shocked! Don't think they really knew what I was climbing.
Stig and Richard... you are the coolest. thanks for a super duper fun time. :-)

Good deal, Anders. I really enjoy seeing the big smiles on peoples faces when they see the trees I take them to climb. Believe me I get as much fun out of it as they do.

Looks like the one they used for "The Shining". Uber cool ! :D

I just checked on Wikipedia and it was indeed the Timberline lodge that was used for Stanley Kubricks version of the shining.
Now I know why the place seemed somehow familiar.

Attachments

• Overlook_timberline.jpg
    Overlook_timberline.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 36
Back