My trip to California

stig

Patron saint of bore-cutters
As you all know by now, Myself and my busines partner, Richard and my former apprentice, Anders went to Cali to see and climb the worlds biggest, tallest and oldest trees. Those being: giant sequoia, redwood and bristlecone pine.
We didn't climb the bristlecones, though, not really much of a challenge since they are only about 30 feet tall.

First we went to one of the most out of the way and least visited sequoia growes. I won't mention the name on an open forum. I had tried contacting various people during the last year to see if I could get permission to climb one, but had no luck.
Even the native americans have become assimilated to a degree, that they worry about getting sued, like any good american would. So we couldn't climb on the Tule reservation lands, where there are some nice trees.
Finally we decided to go to the remotest place we could find and just do a good old ninja-climb.
There are about 10-15 trees of 25000 cubic feet or more in the growe, plenty of opportunity to climb. We could easily have used a week there.
We managed to get to the top of one large tree and spent the night up there in treeboats.
It was a really scary climb for us, the branches bow downward and are extremely slippery on top+ there were huge amounts of deadwood just needing a slight touch to fall. we really had to be careful not to drop something the size of of a concert piano on the next climber.
The morning was beautiful, with the sun rising over the Sierras

Attachments

• P1020839.JPG
    P1020839.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 134
  • P1020857.JPG
    P1020857.JPG
    225.1 KB · Views: 134
  • P1020866.JPG
    P1020866.JPG
    224.5 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Then on to the bristlecone forest, one of the weirdest forests on earth.
They grow way above normal treelevel, even bush level.
You drive upwards till there is nothing but grass, then just as you start to wonder if you've taken a wrong turn somewhere and ended up in outer Siberia, this little forest of gnarly trees appear on a hilltop.
For some reason these trees don't get sunbleached when they are dead, but keep orange and yellow colors.
The little tree next to Richard is app. 4000 years old.

Not too far away is one of the most beautiful hotsprings I know of, Travertine Hot Springs.
We got there early enough that it was still cool ( 104 degrees in the shade take some of the fun out of hotsprings IMO) and nobody else were there, so we could skinnydip. Americans have some backwards attitudes about nudity, we scandinavians think.

Attachments

• P1020900.JPG
    P1020900.JPG
    212.6 KB · Views: 129
  • P1020910.JPG
    P1020910.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 128
Racing towards Redwood River Resort, made world famous by the West coast gettogether, we arrived around 9.00 PM after driving for 10 hrs. Had a few beers and crashed. Richard for some reason didn't feel like sharing a bed with Anders, so he slept outside in his treeboat.
Next morning, very early; I woke up hearing a very familiar voice outside; Jerry Beranek had arrived.
We had a nice breakfast together and went to climb the Coombs tree.
That was when we had the biggest surprise on the trip. We had brought a 300 foot rope for access, after all the tallest tree in Denmark is only about 190 feet, so we figured that we could get it doubled over the lowest branches, no problem.
Well the branch we hit was about 210 feet up, so Jerry had to lend us a rope to tie onto ours.
All the SRT training we had done over the last year paid off, I don't think any of us looke d like complete idiots.
Hanging on a rope looking like an idiot with Jerry looking on, had been my biggest fear.
Actually, after climbing the Sequoias, the Coombs tree and the Goose ridge tree, which we did the next day, were simply fun climbs. Nothing scary about them, just plain fun.
The last picture is Anders and me on top of the Goose tree.

Attachments

• P1020912.JPG
    P1020912.JPG
    228.3 KB · Views: 126
  • P1020966.JPG
    P1020966.JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 126
Thanks for the great trip Stig. Also thanks to Gerry for showing us a bit of his stomping ground and telling us a bit about it. and then thanks to Nic for the lanyards they where perfect.

Then we went up to Arcata, The boys dropped me off. Richard went home and Anders went on to explore the redwoods and the rest of Cali on his own.
I stayed for about a week, teaching karate and driving around in my rented Mustang ragtop.
I managed to visit Thattreeguy, Dave and we had lunch together. He invited me to come out on an exciting job they had on, two days later, but alas, I had to teach. I would have loved to go.
Then I set a new land speed record between Arcata and Portland, going up to see Burnham.
He took me all over the Mount Hood area and we had a good time picking each others brains about forestry.
Here he is trying to teach a raven to talk.

Attachments

• P1020983.JPG
    P1020983.JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 124
  • P1020989.JPG
    P1020989.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 123
  • P1030001.JPG
    P1030001.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 124
Last stop before flying home was CursedVoice, Stephen and his wife, katy.
He had found a magnificent Canyon Live Oak for us to climb.
Where the other trees had been a vertical challenge, this was a horisontal.
A real fun tree to play around in.

It has been a fantastic trip and I cannot thank those treehousers, who have helped make it so, enough.
I hope sometime there will be someone from the House coming to Denmark, so I can pass some of that kindnes and generosity on.

Thanks guys.
Stig

Attachments

• P1030035.JPG
    P1030035.JPG
    207 KB · Views: 120
Say, Stig...how was your trip back down the Oregon coast? You didn't mention that part of your travels at all...did it not pan out?

I got to break out and get over to Europe. There's so many tree guys over there I have met here. It would be nice, and fun, to go visit them for a change. Denmark, Germany and the UK.

Back