24' Triple Extension Pole Saw

• Thread starter Knotahippie
  • Start date
  • Replies 66
  • Views 10K
looking for a good pole saw recommendation. Here's the scenario: I have 4 spindly 75' alders to take out, can't drop em or climb them. I can get up in a nearby lone spruce that would put me in range. furthest alder would be about 18' away. The only pole saw I own is a stihl, and that doesn't seem like it would be much fun lugging around in a tree especially a spruce.I was looking around online but there are allot of choices so I figured I would ask the pros; What's the best ? Telescoping, sectional or ? I don't mind spending the money to get something quality. Any thoughts much appreciated.

I made a 24 foot with three sections of the new light wall blue pole pruner tubing. Pretty unworkable at that. Too wobbly and can bend the ferals if laid out sideways. (Also lays out in a big c shaped ark.)

I use a 21 foot Silky Hitachi (sp) a lot. If I had very much within the 12 foot range I would also make quick work of it with a Stihl extendable power polesaw.

Transfer over to Alders after taking some top out with hook, grapple, or base anchor tie by ground person? Then it would be a lot of quick power polesaw work.

Yes. I'm on my second 21 foot Hayauchi. Rigid and light.... lighter than the more expensive long Silky. It works when needed. Far more rigid than fiberglass. Only once do I recall using over 24 feet of Jameson poles...it was just for a bit of deadwooding on multiple conifers, to save climbing... never do it again. Too whippy and hard to make the cut.

Climbhigh, I've climbed some spindly alders in my day..... not fun, but usually doable...... go for it, but don't risk it!

The 21' Hayauchi sounds good to me. I would trade trade some extra weight for rigidity and I like the telescoping idea. Normally I would just climb them with a couple of good tie in points, but these are mostly dead or dieing and 40' up there only about 5" diameter. Tallest one is 80'. I think the pole saw might be just the ticket.

The Hayauchi 'locks' that hold the extensions in place do not stick out as much as the ones on the Bailey unit. BUT, the Hayauchi extensions can become stuck in either the open or closed positions if they sections are not thoroughly cleaned (sap, pine tar, etc..) after use. I prefer cleaning with abrasive sheets used to sand sheetrock - carefully - to get the crap off but not damage the integrity of the aluminum poles.

Ditto Hayauchi...plenty light enough to use in the tree, awkward but not too heavy

Sounds like the Hayauchi is a winner, thank you for the recommendations.

Decided to try the stihl power pruner I have( Ht101) for the time being till my pole saw arrives. I was standing on the ground holding it out horizontally thinking yeah I can do this, well when I got up in the tree things were further away than I thought so I had to fully extend it. It soon became apparent that There was no way I was going to be able to hold that heavy ass thing out horizontally , face and back cut these alder tops while dangling out as far as I could reach from the little 60' Spruce I was tied into. Anyway so I figured I had to do something since I yarded all this crap up in the tree and already had the alder tops set with rig lines. So I took the tail of my climb line , tied it toward the end of the pole saw and to the top of the tree I was in. It Worked great ! once I got the first top out, I cut a V notch in the remaining spars to rest the pole saw on while I was cutting the rest of the tops out then repeated and was able to chunk them all down with no ground targets destroyed. Not bad for a noob with a pole saw!

...sold my HT to landscaper buddies. My thing is if not neatly cuttable with manual saw or lopper head on maximum of two eight foot Jameson's that is where I draw the line as any more poles = a backache ... F' it I climb for it and do much neater work. Just me though not preachin'

That's pretty full on, power pruner up in the tree! Great spur of the moment fix to get it done though.

So I took the tail of my climb line , tied it toward the end of the pole saw and to the top of the tree I was in. It Worked great ! once I got the first top out, I cut a V notch in the remaining spars to rest the pole saw on while I was cutting the rest of the tops out then repeated and was able to chunk them all down with no ground targets destroyed. Not bad for a noob with a pole saw!
I love that kind of ingenuity and problem solving ability. Most guys would've given up and had to come back another day.

Back