Will these trees live?

Bodean

Cali dreamer
Here's about 5 eucalyptus that have had the bark and cambium chewed off
the trees from a mule.

I'm thinking they are soon to die.
Tops are still green.

The mule has been in there for about three months.

Attachments

• cemetary and 35 wildwood bid 018.JPG
    cemetary and 35 wildwood bid 018.JPG
    423.2 KB · Views: 12
  • cemetary and 35 wildwood bid 028.JPG
    cemetary and 35 wildwood bid 028.JPG
    507 KB · Views: 12
  • cemetary and 35 wildwood bid 019.JPG
    cemetary and 35 wildwood bid 019.JPG
    411 KB · Views: 13
  • cemetary and 35 wildwood bid 022.JPG
    cemetary and 35 wildwood bid 022.JPG
    262.2 KB · Views: 11
  • cemetary and 35 wildwood bid 020.JPG
    cemetary and 35 wildwood bid 020.JPG
    485 KB · Views: 11
I'm not vastly familiar with eucs, but I'd say they're going to be done for.

They sure aren't long for this world. Seemingly. Animals can really mess trees up.. I have a client with horses that I pretty much know every tree there will eventually succumb to the damage and be firewood. :(

I guess it doesnt make them sick?...Wonder if theres some nutritional value in the bark that makes them want to eat it or do they just like to knaw on shit.

Usually a sign or boredom in horses. I was once also told it could be a calcium deficiency that drives the behavior also. Never really checked further into it... Anybody else?

The wood will carry sufficient sap to keep them going for a while-sometimes, if there were enough stored starches they will even leaf out a second year but once the cambium is gone all the way around (or even much over 2/3rds in most cases) they are doomed. (Well I suppose you could do a bridge graft)

The wood will carry sufficient sap to keep them going for a while-sometimes, if there were enough stored starches they will even leaf out a second year but once the cambium is gone all the way around (or even much over 2/3rds in most cases) they are doomed. (Well I suppose you could do a bridge graft)
Agreed, sadly. Trees can stay alive a long while with just a strip of living bark, but then you've got that decay thing to worry about...:(

One of those oaks that I shape at the motel got hit by a car the last time I trimmed them. The bark is gone about 3/4 of the way around and it's growth was substantially less this last time that I trimmed it. It's been about 6 months. Yeah, horses in the wild spend all day grazing and when you feed them hay they finish in a little while. So if they aren't being ridden or have some other activity they have the whole day to wile away in their pen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
WoW Thanks Fellas.

I appreciate the input very much.

and if there's any more from anyone else, I'll appreciate that too.

Bear in mind that I just saw a eucalyptus for the first time last month, but I'd say they're toast. Interupted vascular tissue = dead tree.

This loquat branch survived even though bark was removed around the entire circumference. Wouldn't have lasted long but looked very healthy for years.

I was keeping an eye on it for a couple years...then the gardener cut it off (arrghh!)

Funny thing is that the caliper was greater above the wound.

I always wondered how that worked, gets water and nutrients but cant' move carbohydrate back down the stem...:?

Attachments

• Summer 06 068.JPG
    Summer 06 068.JPG
    716.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Summer 06 072.JPG
    Summer 06 072.JPG
    714.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Turns out, I'll take them down in the fall, after the summer heat fades.

Then they're to build a 30' three sided stall thing for the horses and mule.

Seems the breeze in the trees would be better than a stifling shed manger.

I've seen quite a few small (>3") western redcedar tops that have had the bark stripped off completely for 6" or so that are still healthy looking. Maybe squirrels or some other little animal. I suppose if the bark is removed but the cambium is left intact there's no reason for it to die unless the cambium dries out or is further damaged?

I always wondered how that worked, gets water and nutrients but cant' move carbohydrate back down the stem...:?

In Sweden they have come up with a way to kill the kind of trees, that are really prone to send up suckers from the stump like willow or alder, based on that.
You fall the tree about 2½-3 feet above ground and leave the stump.
That way, the root keeps sending water and nutrients up, but get nothing back, so eventually it dies.
I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I think it might work.

Last edited:
I've had some luck with telling people to hack and squirt a couple weeks before we come to remove some trees

Back