Double pulley travelling tie-in!

stig

Patron saint of bore-cutters
A little trick my partner Richard and I came up with the other day.
One of those things where the hitchclimber really works great.
The idea is, it gives the climber enough of an advantage, that he can pull himself up after doing a low cut.
That is, if the climber is of normal weight:D

Attachments

• P5220005.JPG
    P5220005.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 346
  • P5190022.JPG
    P5190022.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 287
That's just about how I had visualized the setup, Stig. Thanks.

Carl asks a valid question...I can see it in this case perhaps, because you'd loose so much energy to stretch and bounce in the overhead line air humping, that the normal 2:1 would be doable but a hassle.

Yeah, F' air humping! Good idea for going up with spikes on since you can't foot lock. Thanks for the pics Stig!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Carl, Burnham pretty much took care of answering for me:D
This way you can raise yourself by the use of your arms only.

Hey Stig, was excess travel in the highline pulley a problem when Richard was positioning.

Carl, Burnham pretty much took care of answering for me:D
This way you can raise yourself by the use of your arms only.

Stig, you have to remember that LJ does pull ups with one arm, he doesn't need, nor ever will need, to footlock :D

Here is how I visualize your system being used:

Beef the hell out of it using rigging hardware and bull ropes. Your 'prussik' would be a 5/8" tenex.

O.K. now use the system as a high lead so you can pick a load, raise it up, lock it off, and then move it along the high lead to a clear landing zone.

Only trouble I see with all this is how to lower the load? Especially if the high lead is high up there and out of reach?!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WV6JdzCbXFE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WV6JdzCbXFE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey Stig, was excess travel in the highline pulley a problem when Richard was positioning.

He should answer that himself, but his computer is down at the moment, so I'll do it.
He brought a lanyard up with him and tied in if the position was hard to hold.
Mostly there was enough slack in the overhead line, that he could just hang there.

I've used the travelling tie in, but never with a pulley at the top. Doesn't it bother you to have the tie in moving around on you?

I put a prusik up there. I have to climb up to move it around...but it stays where I want it.

love
nick

attachment.php

Sweet! A lot of hardware, but sweet!

Back