Timber Framing

Fug that.

And WHY??

I know obviously for money but why do folks want that? I hear old is the new new but I just don't get why they want archaic building techniques.

Dave on a totally different subject, do you know anybody of any experience level who wants to help build timber frame cabins ,start to finish? Could be a kid or somebody experienced. I have 100s of logs and a mill and a shop with timber frame tools, a crane to set stuff but no time to do it.

Need help

It's for a barn restoration. We need hewn parts for the repairs. We have a choice of buying a sawn timber and fake hewing it, which gives an authentic finish if done correctly, or whacking a tree on site and hewing from the round. It's probably break even dollar wise, but if we hew from the round, the money goes in the hewer's pocket, not the mill's.

I don't know of anyone that would fit the bill for that. The Tfguild forum is a place to ask, but its pretty low traffic these days. It would be a great opportunity for someone trying to get into tf.

I wonder about a simple timber frame design, and simple roof. It would be cool to build a few wood sheds for people, after creating the logs, and firewood to put within. Those in-the-round pieces are what I have in mind.

One customer has a basic, 4-post, timber-framed firewood shed, with a gable roof, built by the previous owners. It's withstood a long time out in the weather. The plywood roof is failing, though. I'll look at it some more when I prune their orchard soon.

Seems like a good concept to sell. Don't know what to do for roofing. How would one put a flat roof onto round rafters? Would that be reasonable to freehand-chainsaw rip along two lines to make a flat surface on each rafter for plywood/ osb? How would one mark the lines on all the rafters?

Giant fluffy shavings at the bottom...what tool for that?

I was thinking of being able to cheat with an Alaskan mill or Granberg edger.

As best as I can tell, I'll be buying and moving in the next handful of months. I should start planning a timberframe outbuilding, under 200 sq. ft, so as not to need a permit and plans and such, in the county.

Any good instructional starting texts/ websites on TFing?

I'll need to reread this whole thread.

Will Beemer's Learn to Timber Frame or Jack Sobon's Timber Frame Construction. Both have adaptable shed plans. I know both Will and Jack. To hew, you need a scoring axe and a broad axe.

The chickens are a riot.

Stealth chickens. They sneak in and eat your lunch. Took the spoon right out of one person's hand a while ago.

If you rattle some food in a cup, they come running with their heads stretched out. They love cheddar cheese gold fish. They also get in vehicles looking for food. And trouble.:/:

It's not terrible work, but I've got a few injuries that get aggravated if I'm not careful. If you let the weight of the axe do the work and don't go postal on it, you can work steadier, and longer, with less fatigue. My preference is to mill a timber, then dress it with the axes. Done right, you can get an authentic finish. These timbers are all long, and there are only going to be five or six of them. Easier to do this than to truck them to my mill.

Back