Scandinavian filing stand

stig

Patron saint of bore-cutters
I don't know if you all know this trick already?
It hasn't been brought up during any of the filing discussions and Gerry doesn't mention it in "Fundamentals", so I'd guess not.
If you do, I'm sorry for wasting your time.

You'll notice that I ream the bottom of the vertical cut out a little. This is not strictly neccessary, but it keeps the chain from binding against the side of the cut.
It takes a little practise getting the height of the front piece of wood( the one holding the bar) right for the particular saw you are filing, because you can actaually cosumize the stand to fit both the saw and your own height.

If you can't figure it out from the pictures alone, I'll explain more.

As you can see, I have gotten old enough to need glasses for filing a saw:cry:

Attachments

• P1090010.JPG
    P1090010.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 327
  • P1090011.JPG
    P1090011.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 324
  • P1090012.JPG
    P1090012.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 325
  • P1090013.JPG
    P1090013.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 324
  • P1090021.JPG
    P1090021.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 325
Seen it done by boring vertically through a trunk burt that looks alot easier to sharpen tho

Neat! Thanks, I'll stuff that into my brain bucket for future referance.

Good pics stig. Seen the same done but cut a 45ish degree angle cut below the saw and a pulp hook fitted in it to support the saw. Got it in a husky chainsaw manual somewhere.

That looks like a great idea, I'll have to try it.

How do you like the GB bar? I was thinking of getting one or two from Bailey's.

And half the money of the higher end bars in the catalog too. I'm getting some bits and pieces from Bailey's this week. Maybe next week I'll order the bars. I'm ordering a bar adapter so I can run all Stihl bars, even on Husky. Don't know how well it will work.:/:

IMO the GB bars are just about equal to the Stihl bars, way better than Oregon. I've never owned a Cannon bar or any of the other ultra high end bars, but I don't like paying $85-$95 each for Stihl bars from the local dealer. The last Stihl bar I bought was the 24" on Skwishey's 038 Magnum, it cost me about $80. 24" GB Titaniums are less than $50.

IMO the GB bars are just about equal to the Stihl bars, way better than Oregon. I've never owned a Cannon bar or any of the other ultra high end bars, but I don't like paying $85-$95 each for Stihl bars from the local dealer. The last Stihl bar I bought was the 24" on Skwishey's 038 Magnum, it cost me about $80. 24" GB Titaniums are less than $50.

Have you gotten one recently Brian? I have hear the quality has gone down with Stens buying them out.
I love the bars as well, not quite a Stihl ES, but damn close!!
Neat tip Stig, thanks!

Not very recently, Andy. Remember, I haven't done much work since September. I have a 32" I stuck on the new 395XP but I haven't used it enough to show any wear yet.

Sorry for derailing your thread, Stig. Cool stump trick there. :thumbup:
I took the 'urban cowboy', high-dollar route and stuck a bench vise on my bucket truck. ;)

Same here, so to speak! :drink:

Attachments

• vise1.JPG
    vise1.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 45
  • vise2.JPG
    vise2.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Vise3.JPG
    Vise3.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 45
That's a damn nice setup MB but... are those pole tools in your truck?

Stig, the guy that taught me basic felling used to do that but I could never make it work. The scrench must be what I left out... but I could never get a stump vise to work either.

ive done something similar with a groove in a stump but thats much more refined, i dig it. except i file over the saw instead of in front of it. i also dont use such a long bar for a small tree like that, extravagant europeans!

Back