More Hazard Tree Felling Pics

One of the pretties pictures on the forum

attachment.php

Only if the 1½" gap on the far side was intended!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
WWBD?...that was a fun thing going in it's time :lol:.

That really is a pretty face isn't it, especially knowing how awfully awkward the working position was, and that Danny was double cutting with a 660/42 inch bar. That was a massive tree.

Was he trying to pull it to the right ever so slightly?

Naw, Brian...he was just thankful it came out as close to perfect as it did. On a tree that size, you'd have to be far less subtle than that in manipulating the face to get any action.

Stig's face cuts are so deep in the ground he just thinks they look better, he would get his hair dirty trying to check:P

I think Brian was noting that the gap is a wee bit taller on the right side than the left.

There must be something to it, even D. Douglas Dent himself said that Burnham was the f**king internet expert! :lol:

Knotahipppie, is Malcolm related to Dwayne Beck. Dwayne manages Dakota Lakes Research Farm at Pierre, SD. It is a demonstration site for no-till ag, aimed at building up the soil and water conservation on dryland sites. Gets fantastic yeilds on dryland corn, with root penetration that is unbelievable, about 20' in nightcrawler tunnels, as I remember. the secret is the rotation to eliminate disease and insect problems, while building OM. If you are ever passing through, I think you would enjoy the stop.

I'm not sure, Bob.

Maybe - The presentation that Malcom gave was very similar to much of the

info on the Dakota Lakes Research Farm site.

They grow some badass corn in TX, too!

If I'm in the area, I'll make it a point to check those folks out.

Thanks for the heads-up.

We're getting pretty close to completion of the last contract for this operating season, and I thought I'd put up a few more pictures just for the Treehouse's entertainment.

Nothing really special here, just some more felling work that I caught off and on.

This first one stood right on the break from a flat bench to a +100% slope. The face had to be head high so the backcut could go in at ground level. Heavy headlean to the road below, 60 inch dbh I'd guess...Dan's cutting with a 42 inch bar on his 660 here.

This is the good example of how a humboldt doesn't mean a higher stump, and were a conventional face would be a PITA. Stig was mentioning recently, in contrast, that humboldt faces don't work out in flat Denmark.

Pushing that face-cut out, especially if not cut exactly, and needs to be beat upon/ wedged out of the face-cut would also be a PITA at that height.

If desired, its easier to cut a larger angle into a humboldt than conventional, when on a steep slope.

I was about to comment how I was surprised how there is not a step cut into the flare of the stump, but then I saw it.

Bump...almost 2 years since the last time it surfaced enough to garner a post :).

This is a really good one, had to bring it up again for our newer folks.

Me too, Butch. Some of the best stuff is back there a few, or even more years.

I'll try n figure that out,new phone and no computer. I'm starting to get it down 😁

On the first set of pics, that looks like a might difficult cut to make... swinging that big saw head high for a humboldt... not my idea of a good time..

I don't pretend to know what's up with those big conifers BUT... I just wonder if it would be easier to make face lower, and then plunge to set the hinge, then either make a steep downward angled final cut to trip the strap, or even a step cut with the final cut higher than the plunge.... looks like it had enough front lean to split quite a bit of grain.

If he's trying to paid for the wood and wants a nice clean log then his way could be easier. .. love the pic of that cleaned out notch... NICE! great saw handling!

Back