Tree felling vids

He’s doing great. Proud of him. Hard worker, that guy is. He’s running a tree business, an arb supply store, and making videos (an almost full time job in itself).

Absolutely. That's all good.

My question is:1.2m?!?. That is a massive number of subscribers and far more than any other treework related site afaik so I am curious what the draw is. If those elements you mentioned are the attraction, I would respond that every tree vid guy does that, minus the arb store.

Absolutely. That's all good.

My question is:1.2m?!?. That is a massive number of subscribers and far more than any other treework related site afaik so I am curious what the draw is. If those elements you mentioned are the attraction, I would respond that every tree vid guy does that, minus the arb store.
I guess I’d have to see how many August and Buckin Billy have. Hold on….. Buckin 510K, August is 165K. At least when I pull up their names on YouTube, that’s what it says. I suppose you are well within reason to be dumbfounded by 1.2M. Didn’t think anything of it until I saw his contemporaries numbers. Wow!

If Buckin had an inordinately high # of subscribers I guess I could see that because he seems unique in the space. But Jake's vids seem mostly to be nearly unending footage of cutting off limbs. Hell that's what I do day in/day out, maybe I could be worth at least a few thousand views:D

If Buckin had an inordinately high # of subscribers I guess I could see that because he seems unique in the space. But Jake's vids seem mostly to be nearly unending footage of cutting off limbs. Hell that's what I do day in/day out, maybe I could be worth at least a few thousand views:D
Start wearing a GoPro! I’ll subscribe and hit that like button!

Heck, I’d settle for bi weekly work pictures of your jobs.

Jake is young, and has a presence online other than youtube. The internet generation has created a body of young people seeking to surround themselves with successful peers and to emulate them. Social media facilitates that to a degree previously unfathomable. It doesn't necessarily need to be someone in a similar field, but seeing someone put in the work, and become successful, is something a lot of folks want to see.

Because we climb, because we do the job, we often take for granted just how amazing and sometimes intimidating what we do really is. To us, it's endless monotony of dropping branches, to another, every cut may well be thrilling, or help to give a sense of the enormity of the task. Don't forget, the job you do is to climb into a tree, tie yourself off with a rope technically strong enough to pull a truck, and cut the tree down from the top.

Haven't you ever had a customer, and maybe their family and neighbors spectate as you make a huge plant disappear? Sometimes a veritable crowd forms, and you can't help giggling at their child like amazement, as you simply go about another Tuesday.

A lot of the comments on Jake's videos reflect this. There's a ton of tree workers of all stripes, offering thanks, advise, and criticism, and there's a ton of folks expressing sheer awe. He shows his mistakes, has a great sense of humor, and comes across as a guy I'd like to work with.

All that makes good sense, but still, over a million subscribers? Perhaps your second and third sentences in first paragraph above are the biggest factors

These dampening branches came up recently.

A climber referred a dead hemlock removal my way.
I knocked it out. He asked if it was hard and if I climbed another tree and came in from above.

i said it was easy. I climbed it to top it first, while the bulk of the dead crown remained. The hemlock had grown up into the maple, so the hemlock tapered drastically, then very slowly. I snap cut a 6" x 25' top, leaning the tip into the overstory maple. It was dead and dry, so I hand-over-handed it down until clear of the maple, then threw it.

I definitely liked that method. Zero wobble.

20240412_123410.jpg

More branch dampening (warning: boring):

Last edited:
Back