Tree felling vids

That could be the handywork of awesome editing and high speed footage. If it isn't, that fella gets it on the ground, and I tip my hat to him.

WTF is Steve Bullman's problem? Did he read what I wrote?

Butch, please correct that garbage.

I need to say something here, not to offend or be confrontational in any way. Thats the truth.

Tucker, or Chris if I may call you that ? In Steve’s defence, rude or not, he was looking out for me and was prepared to stick his neck out, which is quite a rare quality now days. Thanks Steve, I appreciate the gesture:thumbup:

I read your recent posts, not just the one that got quoted....and was trying to understand where you were coming from. To an extent I do....there are lots of really good treeguys out there who get little or no recognition for the job they do everyday. No arguments there.

What I don’t get why you would say that you either know guys, know of guys, or just assume even that there are lots of others that apparently (in your own words) trump me by margins !

I mean, I don’t care if they do or they don’t....but seems as we’ve neither met nor worked together then I don’t understand why you would say that ? Its like me coming on here and saying ‘hey Chris, Im a way better treeman than you’. Mate, I would never say that, or think even it.

A word about the tree videos that Ive made in the last 6 years or so. I’ll be totally honest now. When I first learned the existence of the treeforums only about 6-7 years ago, I thought ‘what a joke....who the hell would get involved with that lot of nonsense’. But I quickly realized that there were a lot of people involved that I could actually relate to. Furthermore I had some aspirations at the time to design and produce some tree-work equipment. So I started making videos to kinda raise my profile, with the thinking that in the future people might buy into some of my ideas and I would make some money. Totally, I had an agenda for making the videos and posting on several tree forums. ...and to an extent it paid off. It was worth it. And in the meantime its put me in touch with some really good people, the world over....which otherwise wouldn’t have happened.

Now I just put out videos which are rarely product related, but try show a positive side of treework. Be-it rarely a financially positive side, more the expertise, risk management, teamwork and comradely that happens everyday. I got near 2000 subscribers on youtube, lota young aspiring climbers that draw enthusiasm just from watching and wanting to improve their own skills. I get lots of vets too at the expos and tradeshows that have seen a lot of the stuff that come over to chat and totally relate to what they’re watching on the screen. Its a positive thing. There’s no showboating. The risks are still real. There’s a very serious side to it. A serious side to me, and the tasks and time constraints that need to be overcome day-to-day. Lots of heart-stopping moments outside of what I choose to put on youtube. The videos are but a minute portion of what gets covered throughout the course of the year.

Whether you care, or don’t care, I just wanted to explain a little of where Im coming from. Im not making videos saying ‘hey look at me, look at me’....thankfully I have a little more depth and self respect than that. Hopefully I'll get the opportunity to create and add some videos to this thread too. Thanks

Thanks for posting Reg. I have always thoroughly enjoyed watching your video's, they have been a great learning tool. Keep it up. :)

Reg, please call me Chris. Me quoting who I think is faster or much efficient, is based on videos obviously. That's all I have to go on, because of course, we've never worked together. A question was asked if there might be even better climbers out there then you? Now we all know you are talented as all hell, but that opinion for most of us comes from videos. I answered a question that was proposed. My answer, whether its fair or not, was based on 5 minute video clips of yours, against full days/weeks/months spent on the job with other men. Im straight up with people. Friends, family, customers, friends on the forums. Not everyone likes my forwardness, but those that do, usually enjoy the fact that Im just being honest and not lying about how I really feel or think. Its not to hurt anyone or cut them down. You'll find if you stick around here, that I often correct myself or go back and clarify something if I think I might have unintentionally made someone feel lousy.

My intent isn't to knock you. I don't even know you. I made a comparison to answer a question, based on the info I have available. I stand by my decision. Maybe one day we will cross paths and I could watch you work, and maybe on that day I'll say "This guy is the best Ive seen". Maybe on that day I'll say "Hell of a climber, but Ive seen one or two better"...... Either way it will never matter, because Im just another tree rat. Im not your judge. Im a normal joe shmoe being asked his opinion.

The showboating end of my statement had nothing to do with you whatsoever. Let me clear the air on that. I've got a handful of climbers in mind, some of which Im sure you know of, that spend more time videoing themselves then they do putting wood on the ground. The work they show is average, and often haphazard. Guys with a camera stuck to their side that are pushing themselves on people like they've re-invented the wheel. As far as I can see, they're just fishing for "atta boy, your such a badass, you are so great". Ive seen your videos and quite honeslty have gone so far as to share a few of them on my facebook wall. I think they're fantastic. The doubled blocks and bollards set up to butt hitch that beechwood made my hair stand up. So, point is, I answered a question about if I believe that betters climbers might exist. Im honest and straight up. As I elaborated on why I feel the way I do, I took a swing at a few wannabe heroes that are fishing for compliments on youtube/the internet. That part had nothing to do with you.

You might choose to dislike me, and I cant change that. Or you might appreciate my candid words and find that I just try and be a straight forward guy. Im not always right, but Im always pretty straight forward when asked what I think. Either way, nice meeting you, and keep the videos coming, I enjoy them.

Crane work pictures do kind of blend together. I don't really have a ton of work pics myself. Mine are boring I think. I go up, set up lowering point, cut and lower limbs. Flop log. Same shit everyone else does.

Interesting that it was 3 englishmen who read Chris's post as being angry/confrontative.
Must be a cultural thing:lol:

It doesn't extend to Scandinavia, I simply thought it was nice that somebody spoke up for the eucmen in the profession.

I'm a happy mixture, like most of us.
I started out Euc and got some oaky tendencies over the years.
I'm still too much of a logger type to enjoy pruning jobs, though.
So probably mostly euc, still.

Sometimes there is a tree where you just have to forget all the fancy shit, Euc up, and put it on the ground.
Sometimes it just takes brass balls and not fancy gear.

Not that I don't love fancy gear, mind you.:)

Back