Tree felling vids

Nice piece of work, Gord...per your normal top quality.

I like negative rigging too, Deva...it's a quirk not many share.
:)

Nice piece of work, Gord...per your normal top quality.

I like negative rigging too, Deva...it's a quirk not many share.
:)

Thanks Burnham.

One more from the last month.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hkIVWC-MdEo?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hkIVWC-MdEo?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

If that one is blocked for you try this one:

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y6zgvEI_jQo?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y6zgvEI_jQo?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Gord, you float above where ever the top notch is. Super fluid.

One question, What camera do you use? There is no cord to a mini cpu.
Whatever it is, it's doing a great job.

Thanks Deva, the camera is a Drift HD170. It's a great camera, the only real drawback is that it is a little heavy when it's on the top of your helmet.

I'll echo Deva...fine to see such smooth work, minimizing effort by keeping unnecessary movement to a minimum.

One thing I gotta point out though, Gord. You have what many would consider a bad habit...not wrapping your thumb around the saw handlebar in opposition to the fingers, which of course gives you a much stronger grip and thus better ability to control the saw should a kickback occur. Lots of us who've got more hours than we can remember on saws get lackadaisical about that, but it really is a smarter way to operate. Might give it some consideration.

I'm guilty of that as well, Burnham. When running that saw so many hours of the day, it's often easier to use your thumb to help push on the saw rather than using just your wrist. It helps spread the load to different muscles and it just seems to happen automatically as muscles get sore from overuse.

Yeah, I know Brian. You maybe recall I gave you a lecture on that same thing after you posted a vid of yourself running a saw. It's an easy habit to get into, even when we know it's a bad one.

This is a really important way we all can improve our margins for safety. It seems like such a little thing, but it's vital imo. It's not a matter of if you'll experience kickback, it's when...anybody who runs a saw with any regularity will see it, it's close to a normal if occasional part of the task. Most cases are minor, and we deal with it with little thought or effort. The difference is being always ready to handle it. Anyone with a solid grip and decent strength can control most instances of kickback...not all, certainly, but most. And the only really solid hand grip is using the opposability of thumb and fingers, wrapped.

I try to do it the right way too.
In my mind, it's easier for felling or limbing.
But for bucking, I switch automatically on the "thumb over" way. Not obvious to correct that.
In fact, that's because I feel the saw "left heavy" with the thumb under when I make vertical cuts. In order to keep my cut straight, my hand puts his thumb over to feel the saw well balanced.
I haven't found yet the right position on the handle to feel good and to cut well in this particular case.
More practice needed, I guess.

It's funny you mention the grip thing Burnham, it's been a while since I thought of it. Now and then it pops into my head and I try to keep that thumb where it should be but look at what happens...I guess if I can't break the habit I'll pay for it sometime.

If you'd had the pleasure/pain of training under D.D. Dent for a couple of decades, you'd have had your thumb popped with a stick a time or two to remind you :D.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the very worst kickback accident I have personal knowlege of ( a FS firefighter) was during plain jane bucking of felled wood into firewood rounds. Several log lengths laying alongside each other. The bar tip contacted the adjacent log as the cut was progressing. Bar under full throttle came back into the sawyer's mouth and nose. He lived. Barely.

Witnesses said that he not only didn't have solid grip with his left hand, he didn't have his left hand on the saw handlebar at all. Happened faster than you can think it.

It's so easy to get complacent, friends. I'm not lecturing, 'cause I suffer the same weakness myself. Let's all take the time to concentrate on what we know are the basics.

Thanks for not getting bent out of shape by my "mothering", Gord. Total respect to you from here, my friend.

I need a 200T but this is a waste of a good saw...the dude is doing so many things wrong it is hard to believe. He is wasting good air it seems to me.

embed is not working...it is pasted but does not show up...here is the url http://youtu.be/fMoSAZQ4JiI

OK...now it DOES show up.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fMoSAZQ4JiI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
The way he was cutting and acting I don't think he is long for this world. I think momma nature has special plans for that idiot.

Man, what was that dude thinking? My favorite is that he gave up bucking that first log after 1 1/2 minutes. Something one of us would most likely have done in about 10 seconds. Though, I'm not so sure he was trying to buck it...I'm not so sure what he was doing in that whole vid. Sheesh.

Were those sweat pants? I like how every time he pulled the saw out of the cut he gave it a little wave like it was a magic wand or something.

I've seen some dickheads use a chainsaw but I'm pretty sure that bloke was keeping his amateur status so he could be a Olympic level dickhead one day. Frightening

Back