Tree felling vids

Heres a clip that Patrick, the new guy on our crew, shot.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjBqr0F64_8

He is a super enthusiastic and knowledgeable guy I know he reads here and hopefully he sees this maybe we can get him to join.

mobile...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VjBqr0F64_8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think of the chain brake as another piece of my PPE.
Good experience, technique, understanding, knowledge, etc. will go a long way
to keeping me from getting injured or worse. My PPE keeps me from getting injured
or worse when the unplanned/unexpected(accidents)things happen..... :)

If I may seriously critique your technique. . The biggest culprit I see is your left thumb !!!!
It Needs to go Around the handle bar. Not resting on it.
Its about 40 times more important than using a chain break is. I like throttle locks. They are like a Glock's trigger. They do their job but aren't in the way. I set the brake when I'm up in the tree. But not on the ground.
The only time I've been cut by a saw is because I didn't have my left hand thumb wrapped around the h.b. .
That is one of the biggest mistakes I se both pros and armatures do. As far as basic saw handling. And most of the pros have scars on their left hand or arm.

But. I really enjoyed the vids! Nice to see your lanyard is working good. A GriGri is one of the first pieces of rope gear I ever got and used them as flip line adjusters for quite a while. I used to make my own wire core fliplines. .

Nick, sign him up! Nice vid. I was a bit concerned though about the guy giving signals who appeared to be in the bight. If something breaks that is a bad place to be.

If I may seriously critique your technique. . The biggest culprit I see is your left thumb !!!!
It Needs to go Around the handle bar. Not resting on it.
Its about 40 times more important than using a chain break is. I like throttle locks. They are like a Glock's trigger. They do their job but aren't in the way. I set the brake when I'm up in the tree. But not on the ground.
The only time I've been cut by a saw is because I didn't have my left hand thumb wrapped around the h.b. .
That is one of the biggest mistakes I se both pros and armatures do. As far as basic saw handling. And most of the pros have scars on their left hand or arm.

I appreciate you pointing that out, really. :)
That's something I continue to work on, it's a bad habit I picked up(really not sure when or where:?) and I'm having
a tough time breaking it. :slam2:
I see it when I go back and watch the video clips. When I'm working in the tree I'm concentrating on doing the work
and I forget about "the thumb". It hasn't "bitten" me yet but I know if I don't wrap the thumb it will bite me sooner
or later. Thanks again. :thumbup::D

Nick, sign him up! Nice vid. I was a bit concerned though about the guy giving signals who appeared to be in the bight. If something breaks that is a bad place to be.

You make a good point. What would have happened and how far away it would have effected, if the pulley offscreen to the left had failed is hard to guess. If the center pulley broke I think the line would have snapped back and left to the offscreen rigging point and the tree would have swung. If the line broke between the tree and the center point rope could have snapped at him and the tree woulda taken a nasty swing (again).

He probly should have stood behind all the ropes but thats an example of taking a risk because you dont want to stand in briar and vines.

He probly should have stood behind all the ropes but thats an example of taking a risk because you dont want to stand in briar and vines.

To each his own. Heck, I'd rather lie down in briars that be in the bight.

Nice work Nick. Be cautious with that chipper winch not to pull the top out of your rigging tree. Its not a pretty sight when it happens.

Yeah, we usually try to use a heel block with the chipper winch. The tree in the video was shot from the drivers seat of the bucket while the truck pulls the tree out. I was back in the woods running the portawrap.

Back