Tree felling vids

Some of my happenings as of late.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VItihr2SBWk?list=UUWKSbadKpcB7HZiYFgEi05g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0I4jO02XUsQ?list=UUWKSbadKpcB7HZiYFgEi05g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks guys. It's no substitute for PNW bushelin, but adding fire definitely can make it interesting. There are some long days on those fires, and a lot of sitting around, but it can be happening sometimes as well and a guy has to be fresh and on his toes.

Nice vids, good stuff!

Hows your buddy who cut his arm?

Looks real good Cody. Sounded like the saws were juiced and had real good cutting chains. Were they your personal saws or govt supplied?? As always, nice looking work. . They looked pretty tall. Was Nate or Sam on that fire. ??

Todd is doing okay I think...last I saw on Facebook he was dredging for gold successfully...so more power to him...hopefully he can make a career out of that instead of cutting timber.

Those saws were mine...two of my oldest ones with lots of miles on them. I do not want to ruin my best ones around all the dust, ash and flames. Only Nate got on a fire, but not this one...he got on a fire further north of here for a few days.

Just curious, why are those tress being removed when the place is still smoldering? Cutting them down doesn't remove the fuel source, if anything, I would think it makes it more accessible. Why not wait? Sorry, completely uninformed about that.

Most of the time we are falling trees that have been compromised...cat faces, burned up tops or roots, and root sprung ground fractures are what we are looking for...mostly to make it safe for the real fire fighters to go in and do their thing, or for whoever is driving by on the road, which can bring a lot of traffic depending on the road system. Other times we are out in front of the fire cutting out contingency lines to help keep the fire contained in its boundary.

Cody: Thanks so much. Wonderful to see a "real" faller.

Jay: We've got a tractor, called a "Swinger" that's probably fast enough to pull with, but yeah, we rarely have a spot where we can use it. We've got a GRCS, and come-alongs, and stuff, but I generally just wedge side-leaners with a sizwill in the tension-wood. Nothin's fast enough, ya know?

Here's a few I recently dropped(before surgery).....

Here's part 1.....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yV_VwJv8tpo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

.....and here's part 2.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/l_X--nOwYkY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They don't seem to use a face cut?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/X6fIl_upqjc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There had to be some variation of a slice in the front. I cant see it breaking free of the stump the way it did if there wasn't.

I think of the chain brake as another piece of my PPE.
Good experience, technique, understanding, knowledge, etc. will go a long way
to keeping me from getting injured or worse. My PPE keeps me from getting injured
or worse when the unplanned/unexpected(accidents)things happen..... :)

Back