Tree felling vids

I just tried to translate Wurzenschnitt and it came up as turmeric cut. We need a German speaker.......

Won't help you much.

I speak German and my Swiss wife does as well.None of us can translate it.
Würzenschnitt is a made up word, most likely from Wurzeln, meaning roots.

Worst mistake was slabbing off the sapwood which is the strongest part of the hinge.
Slabbing off flares at the hinge is forestry stuff not a good idea for urban removals:drink:

As high as he is cutting, that is not going to matter any.

Sure, but at least he was smart enough to go high enough for some straight fibers.

Doing a lot of nonsense at the stump can be a baffle people with bullshit move, too. Make it look way more complicated, and the sawyer look more skilled to a layman.

I thought the same about marking the hinge. Maybe he was tired. Basically a rookie move, unless you're mitigating some other factor to be sure you're right on. Still, looks like a rookie move. A lot of people typically working in small spaces are not very good fellers. Better to knock him for marking his hinge, than for cutting it too thin/ off and it going south. From what I can see, working with space is an important ingredient for becoming a good feller.

Won't help you much.

I speak German and my Swiss wife does as well.None of us can translate it.
Würzenschnitt is a made up word, most likely from Wurzeln, meaning roots.

Isn't a schnitt what happens after you eat too much schnitzel? "I had so much schnitzel that I had to take a huge schnitt"

Yeah it looked stoopid. Not sure why he did all the cutting in the face but the vertical boring of the back cut then the step...

Did anyone actually watch the end of the vid? tedious as it was.

There was a metal railing growing threw the centre of the tree and I think he was trying to bore in to avoid hitting the 1 inch thick piece of iron. You can see it bent over at the end. That is probably why he switched from the 660 to the 361 to finish the job after he had knackered his chain on the 660.

Screen Shot 2015-03-18 at 17.02.39.jpg

Agreed, but no one has figured with the laboriously created front ledge.

Interesting, all the comments about marking the hinge being a rookie move. I still do it quite often. Many instances where you are in a position that you cannot even see the face when working in tight trees, or for example thick barked Fir or Redwood. That said, I don't bother to trim the bark in order to see the corner of the face like that guy did. But a faller's biggest fear is cutting a tree off at the stump, so anything you can do to prevent that hazard. Plus, when you are doing production work you don't have time to fuss around putting your saw down looking a lot at your cuts. Like Burnham said " I will just keep doing it like I have for the last 50 years"...or so.

I don't mark hinge on trees that size but I often do on big trees in a tight drop. It's quite nice when sometimes watching your off corner to know you're both on the same page. Heck, I mark the front corner on those tight falls, you can get near perfect precision that way.

On marking my hinge I often mark 10% of the diameter knowing I can usually cut there comfortably and skinny it up a bit more as needed

Yes in thick barked trees you can trim the bark to see the corner of the hinge, but you don't cut all the outer sapwood off like that kid did.
That's calling for disaster.

I prefer to just cut and run, and let the trees go where they please :) Kinda off topic, but what the hell does "gob" mean? I have a lot of computer pro timber fellers slathering my youtube channel with that terminology.

Back