Tree felling vids

Another good video! I'm not sure if that really works or not ( throwing a wedge into the face as its tipping). I'm sure it will change its path some but not a whole lot.

...but if its just enough...

A conventional allow you to put in different sized and placed pieces. Usually not needed in most work. If you realize you're not gunned quite right, it can be easier than fixing it, if its not critical.

7e6VVCl.jpg

Been off the webs for the most part of late, so late to the game on Pete's nice vid find on skyline logging. I know a few things about what's going on there, and can offer an answer or two that came up pages ago.

The twigs are set in between guy cables and their holding staples, to keep from overly pinching any of the cable wires to point of damage when they're driven into the anchor tree/stump. Never in a clamp, that I've seen, nor saw in this vid, as some here posted??

These huge staples are "fairly" new to the scene, back in my day the de riguer item for that task was railroad tie spikes, heads set in opposition to each other on either side of the cable, for securing a guy cable location on an anchor.

The hammering of cable clamps you saw was to move the clamp farther down the loop towards the anchor tree/stump, to get a tighter bite on the anchor. It's not possible to manually close the two legs of cable under some tension to get the clamp set, so you have to do so too far away from the anchor to get as tight a loop as you want...hence, start with the clamp set farther away, the once it's all put together, hammer it down the two legs of the cable towards the anchor until the loop is small enough to hold well, then finish tightening the clamp bolts.

Great vid Pete, thank you for the find. Brought back many a memory, not all sunshine and puppies either :D. Hella tough job, risky work environment.

And this felling vid, too...mighty nice bit of video. Thanks again, Pete. This one really churns my milk, as that was the pointy end of the spear for me in my work :).

That little trick of putting the wedge in the face as it closes does work, but here's what this old faller sees...watch how the cutter leans in and puts his eyes right up the tree to gauge the direction of fall, then he moves to adjust it by placing the wedge at the near side of the hinge. A pro move, all the way. But if you watch close, you'll see he missed the gap once in putting the wedge in there...if he'd hit it right first time, got the wedge in a smidge deeper, which means a thicker part of the wedge in place a little earlier in the tip, it would have had a better chance of being more effective.

No stones cast by me so far as execution critique, btw. That's a tricky move and I promise you it's not a place to let your finger tips get caught :D.

I just watched that felling video again...so good. The chaos and havoc and madness and mayhem unleashed as those trees start their final fall is incredible.

The intense level of focused watchfulness in the fallers is very noticeable. Cool to see those guys in action.

Thanks for the commentary, Burnham...I like the observations of those who have actually been in such scenes.

I really appreciate getting those 2 Q's answered B, about the twigs and the hammering. The hammering makes total sense. And your post jogged my memory, RR spikes were de riguer when I did tower logging.

I cut timber in oregon. Rarely see a cutter wearing eye protection. You need to be able to see fine detail up above you and wearing eye protection hinders that. Sweat and rain make it worse.

My opinion that not being able to see fine detail is more hazardous than getting sawdust in my eyes. Ymmv.

I think it's being overthunk. You pull the guy line tight, wrap the tree, loosely apply a cable clamp and pull on the tail and sometimes knock the clamp down to get a little more and take extra cable/slack outta the line. Voila.

Perhaps I misunderstood you, Butch.

I took you post to mean that you were saying that you thought they were hammering on the u-bolt to helped set the clamp, so then tightening the nuts was more effective. This is true, and is also employed sometimes, when using cable clamps.

But what I'm saying was going on in the video is...what one does is hammer the whole clamp sideways towards the anchor tree, down the legs of the cable, to close the cable loop down and be tighter around the anchor.

As Justin explains.

This has been posted before, probably more than once, but because it is one of the best of all time, lets roll:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KxGVAgXx6Oo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Me too. There's are many points of interest there.

He does appear to have two but they are together as one which can be a problem. Oh well, chances are rather good that Graham had a plan.

Back