Tree felling vids

He has way too thich a hinge when it goes, hence the barberchair.
Looks to me like he tries to cut his way out of it, which would be the thing to do.
Better to avoid it all together by boring in on the near side ( where you can actually reach as opposed to the far side, which is over the abyss)

Why would the fall being impeded by another tree cause a barberchair, I don't quite get the mechanics of that.

Anyway, the way I see it, if a tree barberchairs on you, you haven't done your job properly.

But what do I know, I'm just a flatlander.
Not much longer, though.

Something weak internally, like a split or void already existing? The tree was barely going over before the faller saw what was happening. Not much strength in that wood. His effort in cutting seemed sop. There does appear to be rot or something in the tree, colored black, and where the split started and moved to the outside where he was cutting.

So it is SOP to let trees barberchair like that.
What is the average life expectancy for fallers up there.........2 weeks?

The fact that I wear Wescos, not Vibergs is not going to keep me from saying that he screwed up.

Look closely at the vid. Start watching about 2:35 when he just starts to stick his saw back in. Watch the little hemmers branchs on the low side. My guess is a gust came up, branches starting to move at the ground like that could be quite a gale 100'+ up, that and an internal defect? It's easy to armchair and guess.

What an odd shift. Who replaced the guys on the 7 off?

Some places it was maintenance time, some places a skeleton crew and some basically shutdown for the week, camp steward stayed in and looked after the place. I worked one camp where the steward had only been out a handful of days in the last decade+. He wasn't even an odd ball, he always joked, "You should see my bank account".

Look closely at the vid. Start watching about 2:35 when he just starts to stick his saw back in. Watch the little hemmers branchs on the low side. My guess is a gust came up, branches starting to move at the ground like that could be quite a gale 100'+ up, that and an internal defect? It's easy to armchair and guess.

Much better analysis. Looks like an old windcrack right where it separated. Again as you said, easy to critique from a video showing one aspect. Fact is, if he bore cut everything, he wouldn't have been anywhere near that tree since he would have been about 2 years behind in his strips.

I worked one camp where the steward had only been out a handful of days in the last decade+. He wasn't even an odd ball, he always joked, "You should see my bank account".

At one camp where I worked there was a group that never left, about four or five. Straight off the boat from some part of the then Yugoslavia, still didn't speak English much. They'd been there for about twenty years when I started, big drinkers. Double vodka and 10oz beer every shout till closing. Bar shut from 6-7pm for dinner and open from 4-6pm and 7-9pm

Great food there, sounds just like yours and great country here as well. Can't blame them for staying, I might have but our boss lost the contract after two years. :(

Dave, have you ever heard me saying that borecutting everything is smart?
I cut everything I can get away with from the back, but on trees with defect and on gusty days, I'll play it safe.

But you are right, monday morning quarterbacking sure is easy.

The only reason I piped up was that Justin put in that remark about not critizising the guys tecnique unless we had walked in his boots.
That kind of PNW " we are so much more manly than everybody else, cause our trees are huge and our hills steep" just works on me like a red cloth works on Spanish bulls:lol:

I'll still say, though, that if a tree barberchairs on you, something has been done wrong.
Just calling it SOP doesn't change that MO.

I had a few more looks at it, it seems to me that at 2.46 a large piece shears off then when you watch the tree fall there is already what looks like inclusion as if the tree had a split years ago. I'm guessing the faller sort of knew this judging by his reaction though I suspect he did not expect that!
Just my thoughts, may well be way off.

Just before the tree breaks away, the guy is looking somewhat anxious. Perhaps if the faller could determine that there was an inclusion in the tree, but not knowing the extent of it, the wisest approach would have been not to cut it at all. Are fallers in that part of the world allowed such luxury? Personally, I haven't read PNW loggers bragging about their work or comparing it to others as a put down. I suspect that they are sufficiently occupied with their own activities, like getting through the day safe enough.

Move out here Stig, I could hook you up and then you could be a real timber faller.

Just razzing ya, don't fly over here and kick my ass or nothing.

Jay the word is Clearcut. No leaving trees, espescially hazardous ones behind. Hence the explosion in the last scene.

I had the explosives manual for blowing up animals once. Park or forest service. How to obliterate a carcass off trails and what not. Probably work for trees. The amount of sticks for a horse looked like it might be a tad over the top :lol:

I took a bunch of looks at the BBC vid..
when he gets into the back cut on the far side at the beginning of the clip around 2:25, looks like the back cut opens a tad and if you look real close you can see the live tree to the left sway just a bit.. then he comes around the near side with the back cut and the live tree to the left clearly moves significantly just as the BBC goes off... then as the BBC snag falls, it takes out the entire live tree to the left...

SO it looks to me as though the tree on the left impeded the movement of the snag... the hinge started to move but couldn't, which leaves the tree with more front lean and no place to go, giving enough time for all that force to split the trunk along what looks like an old defect.

Back