Tree felling vids

The drone video is pretty cool. Damn big trees.
The video prior has some shiny equipment. You would think in making a promotional video that you would make sure there were no noticeable safety violations.

Do you mean like 2 examples of free climbing (first while narrator talks about safety), the wrong use of the POW, needless rigging... And then there is there otherwise unwatched latter 2/3s of the video.

BLUE's EMBEDDED VIDEO FROM ABOVE:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KjYAcMLoFVY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Three point climbing isn't allowed anymore?

Whether it is or isn't allowed legally, did him running up that trunk with no lanyard seem safe? A lot different than a branch handhold. I doubt free climbing is legal anymore, but dunno.

I was referring to the guy in the bucket with no lanyard. I know two people that were killed by being bounced out of a boom. Neither was tree related but same rules apply on all lifts

Whether it is or isn't allowed legally, did him running up that trunk with no lanyard seem safe? A lot different than a branch handhold. I doubt free climbing is legal anymore, but dunno.

I agree...that is what caught my attention first...the narrator was talking about safety and in the background the climber is spiking up w/out lanyard. I learned that way...also broke a wrist that way in the early 70's. When I leave the ground I am attached to something now.

"Barefoot Tree Killer"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7Lf70yhU3BM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:shocked!: Great pruning job. It looks like his PPE was a way to keep the saw with him...I don't think he ever safetied off at all?

Barefootin'....I thought it was just the name of a song.

I watched a bare foot climber work once in Mexico. I could see his feet were an extra pair of hands, he was hanging onto limbs with his feet as he moved around up there. Even grabbing cut limbs and dropping or throwing them where he pleased.

He could probably tie a knot in his rope with his feet too if he wanted too:lol:

He wears a hard hat, a harness (as a saw holder), it's like he does have some remote sense of safety. But bare feet? Does he climb better in bf than boots? I've played some at bf tree climbing, you feel like you're going to get hurt any second.

Nice job getting the limbs down without apparently hitting the building. Guy obviously has a large amount of talent for the work.

Tough is an understatement how this guy can climb and work without a belt and lanyard. Shimmying up with just his bare hands and feet dragging a rope with him.

SDC11262.jpg SDC11261.JPG SDC11263.JPG SDC11264.JPG

Coming down.

I think these this folks and other tribes in the southern hemisphere have been climbing these palms bare footed for thousands of years

Also pays to weigh only 100 lbs. :lol:

In 2001 or so I was in Thailand and saw an exhibition of this sort of climbing, so natch I thought I'd show my then girlfriend and a few mates how it was not such a big deal. I got maybe 6ft up then my weight stopped me going any further.
I'm not fat but at 90 kg and 6ft I just could not do it.

Lotta psi on the foot when standing in a small crotch or in a rope stirrup or when smearing the foot on the trunk.

Risk is relative to society as well as individual - where we question if an individual has anything to loose, then look at what there is to gain. To walk in someone else's boots ( or lack of them) for a day would cure our own myopic, rich & safe perspectives I'm sure.

Risk is relative to society as well as individual - where we question if an individual has anything to loose, then look at what there is to gain. To walk in someone else's boots ( or lack of them) for a day would cure our own myopic, rich & safe perspectives I'm sure.

Incredible post Pete. You're awful smart for a tree-guy. Are you sure your a REAL tree guy. ;)

Back