Tree felling vids

That fat one bout half way through the video ended up going sideways on em,wonder if that was the plan all along

Right, we loggers always plan on having the trees go sideways on us.
Just about every time.

It's well known that the hinge is made only for that purpose. It's even more fun in town.
But I'm not as skilled as a logger and it's difficult for me to drive the tree this way. Usually, the tree keeps going straight forward, what an annoying thing!

Pretty nice work.

A few things that I would have pointed out to apprentices:
Wrap your G.D. thumb..........it ain't that hard to remember and will keep you from getting hurt when that big kick back comes.
It does to all of us at one time or another.

On a tree that size, no reason to go walkabout to check where your bar tip is.
Teach yourself to always know where it is.

And the production logger in me just has to say one more thing, which doesn't matter shit when you are arbo felling, but when you are felling a tree that size, no reason to switch side to make your felling/back cut.
Simply do it from the side you are standing on.
Don't much need to dog in for a cut that size.

^^^ what he said, for some reason a couple posts went missing from earlier.
Thumbs out for tractors, thumbs around for chainsaws, drummed into us at Agricultural College.

I can't recall this vid of Daniels having been posted before. Using ladders in tree work. Pretty graphic with one person getting cut if such is not wanting to be viewed. Some crazy approaches that Dan has gathered to show the hazards. Ow! Embedding not allowed.

https://youtu.be/oxst-7MmUfM

Basic as breathing. Both I and Fi have been saying this too many times to count over the last decade or so here in the House. It ain't rocket surgery, after all.

D. Douglas Dent would send any cutter in a training course of his packing, if that rule wasn't followed religiously. I take that to mean, it's important.

Pretty nice work.

A few things that I would have pointed out to apprentices:
Wrap your G.D. thumb..........it ain't that hard to remember and will keep you from getting hurt when that big kick back comes.
It does to all of us at one time or another.
2 (of many) Lessons from Gymnastics:
Whipping around high bar fully extended doing 'giants'.
Wrap your thumbs or peel off the bar at high velocity.
(also other grip devices, but most notably 30mph spins around highest bar)
ALSO:
in rotations, go the direction your thumb points, or peel off the bar at high velocity.
Thumb is pawl, locking force into larger/outer frame of hand/fingers.
Transfers over to: Turning adjustables : vice-grips, monkey wrench, crescent wrench, channel locks etc.:
turn in direction smaller pawl points, locking force into the larger outer framework of wrench etc.
i peeled off the bar at high velocity enough times, to now instinctively do both.
(also ate that salty/chalked bar many a time coming over the top and coming apart as the only after school snack i ever knew!)

Played with youTube more; still new to it.
Text data used for searches would be hard baked into youTube movie at authoring time(called metaData, actually means 'data about data');
so if points to someone else's vid as their work, carries their tags etc.(fairly)
NO auto build from links on site, would build 1 by 1.
Perhaps some netiquette considerations; but would give all more exposure.
But presently have hands full with most recent self-torture:mytreelessons.com/rl/content/library.swf

O.k... that was definitely not a, "really boring video," Grendel. Man, I want your chainsaw. If you're not married, you should send that pig off to a builder to have it ported.

O.k... that was definitely not a, "really boring video," Grendel. Man, I want your chainsaw. If you're not married, you should send that pig off to a builder to have it ported.

Haha, no I'm not married. I've thought about sending my 390 out. But it's not like I'm ever in the cut thinking "damn, I wish thing thing ripped harder". Maybe I just don't know what I'm missing?

Thanks Jed.

You're basically just paying for a much better power to weight ratio. There are interesting arguments for and against zip-jobs, but I'm here to tell ya that all the arguments against them suck. My guess is... you definitely don't know what you're missing. Here's Jack... probably the best work-saw (the race saw builders are just another breed, and their saws are short-lived) builder in our neck of the woods. He'll definitely fit a 395 into a 390's body...
https://youtu.be/ANRMpWeG36A?t=35

Ol Hotsaws makes a nice vid. I see he's still making them too. Funny how he calls a conventional face a 'farmer's face' or 'overhand face', makes sense.

He said he wanted to roll this one off the stump and sure enough he did, apparently with a snipe offset to one side.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/V_VfaxzKCpE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Funny how he calls a conventional face a 'farmer's face' or 'overhand face', makes sense.

He's got some just weird little comments here and there about falling. In one other vid that would take me forever to find, he explained some tree he had to fall and then, parenthetically at the end, he put's in: "...Conventional face: it's more accurate anyway." I would have loved to get him to comment, but of course... no luck. The guy's super incommunicado... timber faller.

Back