Tree felling vids

I've never seen speed of pull make a difference in any tree I've ever done..... They simply do not move that fast to make a difference until the fall is picking up speed which is well into the fall... When pulling by hand with MA ... you simply need the time to get the force up... a loader doesn't... amount of force on the line is the only important factor, except in very rare cases

I've broken one on a big Tirfor, maybe 8 ton or 8K capacity, moving boulders. Beast of a machine to have to take back-country for trail work.

We ripped a healthy 12" tree out of the trail tread like nothing. Slow, and powerful.

You can't take a truck a lot of places. When you can pull a switch instead of manually powering a lever, call it a win.

This is of course very true, and trail work is an unassailable example. But one might be surprised at how far you can extend the reach of a truck mounted winch with 300 or 400 feet of static rope, several redirect pulleys, and a penchant for rigging. This I know :).

Tirfor's, with the load-limiting shear pin in the handle,
I broke two, on my small 800kg. One even in a not so hard pull. It's very disconcerting. Painful too when the handle suddenly looses its resistance in the middle of the action. Great chance to fall on your butt, hit a bone with the handle and wreck a wrist.
I prefer the Maasdam for that. The handle is designed to bend on a pull before anything breaks. I didn't went so far though.

If any parallels can be drawn from bending wood made supple by steaming, a slow even consistent pull around your form seems to give better results from cracking, than doing it by way of a quick jerky motion. Asking the fibers to stretch not tear..... Bending wood that is too dry, the degree of failure is much greater any way you do it.
I don't do jerky, can break lines, hinges branches etc, bad juju imo

Yes, even with the Tirefort and the Maasdam, it isn't a continuous motion, but a succession of stop and go. It makes the tree wobbling.
That worried me a lot with some sketchy trees.

lots of good memories there...

I have a good friend in California that just took chainsaw to flesh.... looks like he'll be ok, but it does get me thinking about the shoe being on the other foot

Warning, strong language!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ddbw6nNnfdM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The infamous slanted back cut is back.
I just love seeing that.:lol:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zT0l1SLKTyQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I just saw this yesterday on TB..

then wrote this :

OK I'll be the bad guy and say it since no one else has:

While he seems like a really good guy with a great personality for TV, he showed a lot of sloppy work and had a real casual attitude towards his and the crew's mistakes. The one where he cuts the rope was such a poor decision, I'd think it was staged if I saw it on reality TV.... And I only watched a few minutes of his videos...

Every young climber is going to make mistakes, and while its's amazing that he is so willing to show them to the world, his attitude about them sucked.. he was way too casual. Taking a "no big deal" attitude towards mistakes is asking for trouble. There is a mathematical formula that is fairly accurate in this business. You only get so many small mishaps and close calls before something much worse, such as a major injury or death, happens.... He's lucky the fall was only 25' , not 50!

Unless you have an safety conscious attitude the odds are heavily stacked against you in this business... That means taking every small mistake and near miss, and even any unexpected outcome (even if it did no harm) very seriously. Every nicked rope, every scratch with the hand saw, every rigging mistake needs to be thoroughly mentally reviewed , and then discussed with the crew where appropriate. How could things have been done differently? How can we make sure this doesn't happen again? Is there a policy that we could put in place to make this action safer? Do I need to work on my fundamentals.... like getting better body position relative to the cut? Do we need to fire this guy before he kills himself???

I've seen it in action before... Told a climber he shouldn't be in the the business... He was way to casual about safety and I knew something bad was going to happen... Within a year he had fallen and broken his back doing some stupid little mistake, belaying out of a pine spar...

On the the other hand I've seen a young climber that used to make a lot of mistakes turn into one of the best tree climbers that ever walked the earth. The difference was in his attitude. He wanted to get better, and learn from his mistakes and be the best and safest he could be... He was actually getting ready to climb this medium walnut early on, and I said I didn't like his tie in... we both pulled on the climbing line together and broke the limb right out...

So Corey if you're listening, I expect this post to sting a bit, but I hope you can look at it from the viewpoint that I AM trying to save your life, and help everyone here develop a better attitude towards safety. I hope this accident, which could have been sooo much worse, helps you change your attitude. If not, you should get out of the tree business...

Maybe you should think about moving to LA and taking acting lessons anyhow. With your personality and physique, you could make it in the movies.. Wish you well with it either way bro!

Anyone try it the 360 degree function on that video? You can scroll around while it's playing. Or just turn your phone if you're watching it on a phone. Doesn't seem to work for everyone though

I've heard that a couple times Gary.
Bummer Jay, it's kinda fun to play with. August couldn't get it to work either

Anyone try it the 360 degree function on that video? You can scroll around while it's playing. Or just turn your phone if you're watching it on a phone. Doesn't seem to work for everyone though

360 worked great...now I got to see the tree fall. Cool trick.

Start at 11:00 and see "Human" almost get nailed. He discusses the errors in the minutes before 11:00.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BfgTdoyB738" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back