Tree felling vids

I watched a side video how to sharpen a chain made by that guy falling that hinge-less hardwood with the back of his bar. He sure didn't know what the hell he was doing.

I think Cody was talking about that heartwood fiber pull on that big fir or cedar. It was so badly center rotted it wouldn't have mattered if there was pull or not.

No, I was saying that I don't like to pull fiber on nice butt logs, which is why I bore the heart out, usually from the undercut. I was agreeing with Stig :) I also bore on spars as well.

No, I was saying that I don't like to pull fiber on nice butt logs, which is why I bore the heart out, usually from the undercut. I was agreeing with Stig :) I also bore on spars as well.
I thought you were referring to that big center rot tree video......I didnt understand what the issue was:/:
The joys of trying to carry a conversation on a chat room:deadpc:
:lol:

Yessir. Although, I have seen some of those canadian videos where they allow way more fiber pull than I would though.

I hate seeing heartwood get pulled when it doesn't have to, but what went on in that video just seems crazy. When I went to the swamps, some of the locals were commenting on our stumps, and were telling us that they "slick stump", to avoid fiber pull...and I guess this video proves that they weren't kidding. The ones that seemed halfway intelligent, we would try to explain to them that we were not pulling any fiber out of the heart, but could still use our "west coast" humboldt and could still use the sapwood for holding wood.

I used to buy a new chainsaw every year. We were getting paid per thousand board feet, and worked 6 days a week, so it paid off to have good tools...plus we were usually so far from the road, that you didn't want your saw breaking down, unless you were getting flown in, then you would have a spare saw in the woods with you.
Ok......now I see what video you were talking about, got it from the horses mouth....not from someone's quote of what I thought you said.

When timber falling our hardwood were weeds so just lay them down to rot as we didn't skid them out anyways.
But doing residential removal work gutting the hinge on a DED American elm is a good thing as those suckers got tough hingewood .

Yessir. Although, I have seen some of those canadian videos where they allow way more fiber pull than I would though.
Yeah you were probably looking at all those videos with heartwood rotted red cedars.

Well us Canadians came to realize it's sometimes better to allow a longer holding hinge with a little fiber pull to help avoid smashing down countless other good trees, as I see that happening in a lot of U.S. timberfalling videos.

I'll reference the photo on the cover of D.D. Dent's book. Major fiber pull shown there. And that wasn't seen as a bad thing in those days (early 1970's), any more than it is to very much of a degree today, hereabouts.

Frankly, we were and still are really spoiled by the riches of wood we have here in the PNW. No effort, or very little anyway, made to capitalize or conserve on the embarrassing abundance of these resources.

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Timber-Falling-Procedural-Approach/dp/1299184081

Burnham, funny you brought that book up.....I just had mine in my hands this morning;)

Yes we are spoiled by our over abundance of timber here too, but it always was the call of the DNR conservation officer who ribboned our trampled timber for cleanup that we adhered to. Not worry about stump fiber pull if we could help it.

I realize that a guy would not want to be boring heartwood out of a rotten cedar...I have cut many of them as I lived on prince of wales island, in Alaska for for years. Maybe it was a generalization I was making about Canadian videos, but I have seen videos, regardless of where they were shot, where the fiber pull made me cringe. No offence intended to you Canadians, Pard :)

We never can take ourselves too seriously especially in this industry.:)
Just like my old buddy John here with a grin from ear to ear....just a little south of Alaska on northern Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Scan.BMP.jpg

Looks like a complicated whizzy to help the tall hinge flex more easily, rather than snap. Maybe a dead tree that had to hold the hinge while dragging through the other trees. Part Whizzy, part German Cut, part Full Gap face.

I think theoretically a gap hinge with better foldability for the fibres, is what he was fussing with. The look on his face at the end says that he must have succeeded. What was the point of the tall ledge left up front?

Lordy...... German engineering

hahaha...that has to be part of it. There are digital x-ray machines produced by the Germans that are like the game Mousetrap on steroids...vacuums, suction cups, chains, rollers....way over-engineered stuff...when it works it is impressive...when it fails it is a nightmare.

Ridiculous, IMO.

I think Pat said it best. My head would explode if it took that long to cut a tree.

Looks like a complicated whizzy to help the tall hinge flex more easily, rather than snap. Maybe a dead tree that had to hold the hinge while dragging through the other trees. Part Whizzy, part German Cut, part Full Gap face.

A whizzy only extends about 1/2 way across the face, no? This looks like a very slow, complicated full gap face. What is a German cut, or is it what I just watched?

I think theoretically a gap hinge with better foldability for the fibres, is what he was fussing with. The look on his face at the end says that he must have succeeded. What was the point of the tall ledge left up front?

I'm wondering the same thing about the ledge. Why not make a fast-cut full gap face?

I was almost wondering if the plunge cut/step cut release was a good way to work around the metal in the tree but I gather he made the wacky cuts regardless of the metal?

when it works it is impressive...when it fails it is a nightmare.

Interesting take on German engineering! The engineering in the german cranes (Leibherr and Grove) is hugely impressive to me and kinda sold me on the concept of "german engineering" But as with everything, there is 2 sides to it I guess.

We had a new press for grinding wheel at Bay State Abrasives when I worked there. Man, when it went bad, it went REAL bad. Then they would fly in the German Techs and try to sort it out.
The old American made presses, bubble gum and bailing wire kept them going so to speak. They would only go down for a little while and the machinists we had could usually doctor them up in a day.

The one thing I would say about the time taken is that a tree like that, on a slope like that with buildings at the bottom (within easy reach) 5 minute here or there wouldn't be such an issue.

Jeeeez, that was ridiculous!
Some stupid adaptation of the german cut, where putting in a full gap face would have accomplished the same and been way faster.
Mind you, in a setting like that I would have gone the same way, but with the gap face, to make sure my hinge held as long as possible.
But if they were afraid it was going to jump off the stump and hit the fence, why not simply set a butt rope to one of the trees above it.

I like the first comment: "Why make felling a pretty ordinary tree into a science."

Also, that little trick of making a vertical mark to show where you want the hinge, is sooooo much a rookie thing.
If you can't gauge the thickness of a hinge without stuff like that, find another job.

Worst mistake was slabbing off the sapwood which is the strongest part of the hinge.
Slabbing off flares at the hinge is forestry stuff not a good idea for urban removals:drink:

Back