Tree felling vids

If he had been wearing a pair of gloves he would have been better able to handle the burning pieces.. People often overlook gloves as an important piece of PPE. I don't work without them.. I always like to take spark arresters out... don;t need them around here... Out in Cali is different.. could lite the grass up... never thought you light up a palm like that

This is something Ive never heard of nor had an inkling of but it looks pretty interesting and very different- technique for cutting hard sideleaners called the triple hinge. Looking forward to trying it. Vid may require a bit of fast forwarding and the camera man sucks and is an ultra obnoxious hick.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gROnRUyWZmY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/d_H3lj_XyWM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Interesting concept.
Not something I'd trust in a situation where it really mattered, though.

I'll play around with it come logging season, if I get a chance.

I think I pretty much get the concept of both of these techniques. They are both trying to do the same thing but obviously in a different way.

Because I am not doing anything at the moment and I'm sitting at my computer instead of one fingering it on my phone I will use a hard bound book as an analogy. Take a hard bound book and lay it on it's back facing up. Lets say this book is the wood directly behind your undercut, essentially the hinge. With the book closed tightly it is very stiff. Now make a vertical cut at the precise point where your undercut meets the hinge. You have now opened the front hard cover of the book allowing the pages to flex in that direction. But the wood fibers (pages) are all stuck together and especially stuck together considering the back hard cover is still attached to them. So at the back of the hinge make another vertical cut. Now you have made your wood fibers very flexible and your pages even though they are all still held together will bend. Allowing these fibers to bend means they will hold the tree longer and hopefully long enough for the undercut to close which has now given the tree its desired direction. The down side to this is that with a massive amount of force pulling at the bending fibers it can tear them right out of the stump before the hinge closes which will result in a lose of direction. Different species will hinge better than others and the amount of hinge needed on each individual tree will very. Too much will result in the hinge breaking right off with no flex and to little will result in the hinge being ripped right out of the stump.

I hope I wrote that so it makes sense to someone other than myself.

You did to me.

But then I understood it already, so that may not count.:D

I like the book analogy.

These shovel loggers with a grapple saw just blow my mind with their power, capability and production.

Denver, do you have one of these?

Start at 6.20- hand felling a huge tulip then brutalizing it with the grapple saw to process it

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kQ28cL6ePqM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That video makes me glad, that my time in the woods is about over.

I had a chance to try the triple hinge tecnique today.
Had a badly leaning maple that I'd like to swing.
Wouldn't be too terrible if it went with the lean, so it made for a good study object.

It works! ( Even though I didn't have some stupid redneck hollering in the back ground)

I was looking at the triple hinge when it went, and the wood clearly had WAY more flexibility because of the vertical cuts.

European maple is not a good hinging wood, but I sure got the better of this one:D

I'll need to play around with it some more, but with logging season coming up, there should come some opportunities.

Experimenting with difficult throws (when it's OK to do that) is how you get good at it.

I would be asked "Why are you doing that?" and my response would be "I wanna see if it works."

Stumbled on this last night, a vid by the ISA, a group of old tree workers talking about days gone by.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TzU0-k6VxFw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorry I can't embed from a tablet from some reason.
Actually, old boys is rather derogatory to these people, I recognise alot of the names and should have said, pioneers and big hitters.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a chance to try the triple hinge tecnique today.

Glad it worked for you stig.

Crazy isn't it- a guy in Indiana was taught a tree cutting technique, he filmed it, put it on the net, guy in CT saw it and shared it, and now trees in Denmark are feeling it. The ridiculous power of the net.

stig did you completely cut off the far side, no hinge there at all, or did you have it thin on the far side?

I had it thin but not so thin it would collapse under the weight of the tree as it fell.

Tried it again with a beech today.
This is one trick that works.
Set a whizzie, then bored in vertically twice in the hinge and over she went.

I think this one will be a permanent member of my tool box:)

I agree. I love those old b+w pictures. Would love a print of the one huge tree with a dozen guys trimming.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Back