Tree felling vids

I thought we use to have a thread for felling vids.
It would be fun to just get to dump em over the side like this.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/45RDZ3owtvY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/45RDZ3owtvY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I thought u did I didn't see it but I went through tapatalk not used to app probably overlooked it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FT2efWxVWDs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wondering of Dave cut the dutchman intentionally..

What do you think?

I'm not good enough to try anything like that. On my smart phone looked like hardly any holding wood. Could have ended badly, but didn't.

that's what I was wondering. Maybe he's cutting like that to prevent fiber pull and preserve log value.... normally looking at a face cut like that ould make me think he didn;t have a clue, but he cleaned out the kerf of the dutchman, which seems very intentional... He losses one to the side this below video.... which makes me think he doesn't have a clue, but it may just be beyond my experience.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sZH1n_rCHyY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I ain't no pro, but when wedging and pushing or pulling I tend to check the progress up the tree. Or to check if something might thunk my noggin.

Wondering of Dave cut the dutchman intentionally..

Which one of them?

I see two Dutchmen.

"Nice shot, Dave", indeed!
If that fat, kneeling slug had been working like that in my forests, he would have been dead within the first week.
He simply has no idea about felling trees.
Also as previously said, not a single glance upwards.

Which one of them?

I see two Dutchmen.

"Nice shot, Dave", indeed!
If that fat, kneeling slug had been working like that in my forests, he would have been dead within the first week.
He simply has no idea about felling trees.
Also as previously said, not a single glance upwards.
That about sums it up. Love the carpenters tape on his belt

I wasn't gonna say anything, that's just the way I am, but if ol Porkchop is a pro I don't have anything to be ashamed of...

That's what I was thinking... the only thing that got me wondering was the bit starting around 35 seconds of the first video where he cleans out the horizontal kerf and extends it through the middle of the tree, leaving any potential holding wood on the corners, making it seem like he's doing it intentionally to try and prevent fiber pull... I wouldn't expect anyone cutting a dutchman (and upon further review a double dutch, stig spotted) to make that cut which seems like it has a purpose. I wouldn't want to be in the machine on those falls... they look big enough to crush the cage

My thought exactly, Daniel.
No stump shot at all.
Pushing that low on a tall tre with no stump shot might make it go backwards.

Look at the way he handles the saw when he "cleans out the horizontal kerf" does that look like someone who uses a saw like an extension of his body ( I tell my apprentices this all the time, THAT is how to run a saw) or someone just waving it around?

Cleaning out the bottom of the kerf like he did...that has no merit at all, I reckon he saw someone bore their hinge once and didn't know why, and copied what he thought he saw.
First vid his bar was not long enough to reach the far side, but that was the only holding wood he had in the end!
No chaps, no ear protection, no eye or face protection.
Kneeling on both knees, thumb not wrapped, cutting the face from in front of the tree (anybody else do that?)
Walking across the back of the tree when the back cut has been started
In the second vid his machine is in his escape route

IMHO really thin hinge for a rotten tree. Not sure if he read the weight right or the combo of a thin hinge and what looked like the wedge being driving right next to it caused the tree to pop off in the unplanned direction. Hind sight i would have set a pull line, but I may rely on my maasdam too much.... or just enough.

At any rate his plan should have changed once he noticed how soft the wood was when he was cutting.

I think if he'd set that wedge in the backcut as he was cutting, instead of letting the tree set back, it would have worked.

Back