Tree felling vids

There was only one tree involved.

Through some sort of slow cutting, he allowed the top to catapult.

Maybe the saw was dull or underpowered, but it was strictly operator error.

Bear hugging the tree before the catapult is released is the only way to ride that out.

I don't believe so, Butch. I read the video as one tree leaning on a spar, with him on the spar. He cuts a limb on his spar or the leaning tree, releasing the leaner suddenly, firing his spar like a catapult.

Maybe the leaner broke the top of the spar off, or it's short/a spar from some other action than him specifically topping it.

There seems to be a strip of material stripped of the spar.

You never know with people, coulda been two trees tied together, cut free with a knife on a ratchet strap.

I saw it like Sean, too. NoBivy would do it with TNT...probably a perfect situation for that.

Looked like the spar tree he was tied into was just barely longer than where he was standing...and barely held by the leaner. When the top moved it sprung the trap...a very bad ride.

That was baddy. Lucky fool.

I cut a heavy top out of Euc that sprung like that. I was tied into a taller tree behind and bailed when the energy was released. If not the outcome would've been pretty much the same. Still, even with a way to get out of there it was a loaded situation. After the fact I shamed myself for not going higher and taking the top out in smaller pieces.

I was trying to fold the top over on a tall, skinny doug-fir, near the chipper below. It was about 4" diameter and 20' tall. I was in the neighboring tree a handful of feet away, stripping as I went, or it was an interior tree in the grove and didn't have live branches below the top. 20' shorter would make the spar fit the yard. I cut the face at about 140*, way wide-open bird-mouth because of the location of the chipper.

That thing tipped right over, pulled the trunk of the tree forward Far before the face-cut closed and broke free. The rebound was 'something else'. You've seen a guitar string vibrate, well, this was about like that. Nothing to dampen the vibration, no climber's weight/ body on the spar. IF I had been closer to it, and it was oscillating back and forth, toward and away from me, rather than parallel to my tree, it would have beaten me, at the very least, senseless.

That is an insane tree vid, and that is saying a lot!

WOW!!! Scary!

I always install my bail out option once I reach the top of a palm...had rats run out before, and cockroaches...but that fire, especially seeing it rip up the trunk like that :O:O

A climb line in place, yes, but how long can it sustains the fire?
It doesn't take much time to wreck the outer fibers. Then, put a heavy friction on it...

With a line in place a climber should be able to repel 35-40 feet in less than 5 seconds. If you go fast enough you can get past the fire before it begins to affect your rope. I certainly wouldn't want to be fidgeting around if I were in that position.

After watching it a few times I saw that the chunks he dropped where close to the base, and the fire ran back up the tree!

Back