Tree felling vids

That technique has been preached for a long time, Mark Chisholm popularized it afaik.

In a woods setting where stumps are clean its ok but I would never use it in a residential setting where stumps are likely dirtier, cutting with a pushing chain causes rapid dullness. Using a wedge, or twigs, or Tucker's technique of cut a tiny wedge are all better imo.

I also think pushing all that sawdust into the kerf will result in slower cutting/chain speed compared to pulling it all out into mid air where there is far less resistance, but that is just a supposition.

I'll pass on hand sawing a TD! And I sure wouldn't wanna be using a curved handsaw to cut a log...

Interesting, however.

Exactly.

Like cutting pulpwood.
The romance of doing that fades fast once you do it for a living.

My whole life my uncle who did the treework with me and logged his whole life always had the mantra 'Let the machine do the work'. I'm a believer in machines.

An old but very skilled laborer told me when i was an apprentice burn gas not ass. I've repeated that quote probably 1000 times, it's always the best way lol.

Lol I'm working with him again right now too, second shift. He's quite the character, has done a bunch of volunteer work too, even so far as going to Africa to help build stuff. Stories for days, makes for a quick work day

Back