Tree felling vids

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fwyReIZJz5w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Can someone explain to me what the danger is here, because I sure don't get it.

I am sure that was nothing a seasoned pro like you could not handle.

Trouble is that most of the sawyers on the fire line are not seasoned pros.

All it takes is a two day class in order to be unleashed on the fire line. Naturally, I am the biggest guy. So I get the biggest tree because no one can pick up the 660.

There have been quite a few deaths from trees in the wild land world in recent years. So now there is kind of a hyper safety minded atmosphere.

I didn't know you had cut a bunch of trees, Jim. Cool!

Well I've never cut trees on a fireline so you got one on me anyway.

Why?
He has a tree blocking the log from hitting him.
I simply don't get all the fiddling around with wedges and cutting and cutting.
It is a simple log with top bind.
Most loggers I know cut those 10 times a day or more.
Do a reaming cut from the top, untill you can't keep your saw free, then trip from the bottom.
Move on to next tree.
Loggers have to save the saw log, this guy can let it split in a billion pieces and nobody will give him a hard time about it.

Am I totally missing something here.

Jerry?

Burnham?

Lil' help, please.

Why?
He has a tree blocking the log from hitting him.
I simply don't get all the fiddling around with wedges and cutting and cutting.
It is a simple log with top bind.
Most loggers I know cut those 10 times a day or more.
Do a reaming cut from the top, untill you can't keep your saw free, then trip from the bottom.
Move on to next tree.
Loggers have to save the saw log, this guy can let it split in a billion pieces and nobody will give him a hard time about it.

Am I totally missing something here.

Jerry?

Burnham?

Lil' help, please.
That's all I saw as well. Guy had no idea what the risks were so he was afraid of everything. He was trying to figure it out as he went because he sure didn't know what to do next.

He's a wanna be that gets paid to make things look more difficult or dangerous than they are. He did a vid a while ago on a removal that TS gave him the gear. He about killed himself several times. Luck only last so long

I think Rich and Brian got it right. He did look like he was making it up as he went. He changed his stance lots of times.

Stig, I'd be skittish because I don't make many like that. It looked some of the time like he was almost "under the load" if the tree let go then.

I like wranglerstar but that was painful to watch. I'm with ya Stig, keep the wedges in your pocket and just cut the darn thing.

Was like watching paint dry.. he should have cut in a better place so his leg and foot were clear of the log and buttress. Not enough side bind to worry about. Buck it like you mean it. Like what Stig said.. lack of experience shines through here.

Now, I may not have the experience of this guy, but if its a top bind, and you're going to cut the top, then the bottom, do you want to prevent the top kerf from closing, so you wedge it open?

If you want to use wedges in a situation like that, Cut from above till the cut starts closing on your bar, maybe ream a bit if it happens too early ( Like with WAY more bind than he had)
Set wedges, pound them in and simply finish your cut.
The wedges will prevent the cut from pinching your bar, so you can just go straight through.

I'll do that if I have an expensive veneer grade log in a bad bind.
Easiest way to save the log.

This is where the trick I learned from Chris comes in.
Cut til it starts binding your bar, do a slightly slanted cut from the top into your first cut, use the bar to "pound" the triangular shaped piece that you just cut loose, into the first cut.
It will nor serve as a wedge, so you simply ream under it, untill the log stops trying to bind your bar and power through.

That is the best trick I've learned here in the House.
It has made my life a lot easier when logging hardwood.

Now, I may not have the experience of this guy, but if its a top bind, and you're going to cut the top, then the bottom, do you want to prevent the top kerf from closing, so you wedge it open?

Only place you wedge a cut open is when you have to cut a log that is laying on something you don't want to get your chain into, like a road surface,
Then you cut from above, set wedges, cut till maybe a couple of inches from the bottom, then pound the crap out of the wedges.
This will make the log rise up , so you can cut through without damaging your chain.

Sorry if I'm telling you something that is common knowledge to your all.
I've no idea what people already know, so sometimes I'll just explain stuff at the risk of boring y'all.

Back