Tree felling vids

Biggest mistake was the guy with the saw just standing there when the tree went over.
Get the F... out of the way, dude!!!!
I mean, trees go wrong for all of us once in a blue moon, but don't just stand and watch it happening.

I was so nervous when I took the sawyer test that I did not run away. I did everything perfectly but escape. My instructor told me to put the tree in between two other trees, a foot either way the tree would have hung up. It went right where I wanted it too, but I watched at the stump to make sure. I still passed because it was not enough to fail me, but it was a good lesson.

I think it was just inability to comprehend what was happening, I remember an experienced guy felling a really old fat oak for a road project, I was at right angles at a relatively safe distance, it screwed round and came at me dropping 2 mtrs short. Why didn't I run? I simply could not believe it was happening.
Some people are better than others in these fight or flight situations.

I beat that " Run, Forest, Run!" thing into my apprentices with a big stick.
Also the " don't lose your life trying to save a frigging chainsaw" thing.
Had that guy been one of mine, he would most likely have preferred to have the tree hit him, instead of having to deal with me afterwards:lol:

IMO it's a case of rushing & pushing on a rainy day.

The fallers demise would have been self inflicted if the butt had of struck him. The bobcat would have been great to pull the tree over with, so why they tried to push uphill with it I have no idea

The sawyer kept cutting the hinge thinner and thinner, thinking it was the reason the tree was staling. A fundamental blitzkrieg. Seldom in such scenarios is too much hingewood the problem. Rather the hingewood is the only good thing you have to save your bacon. Do not keep cutting! Get a line.

Yeah, leaving that chipper running at warp speed, doing absolutely nothing, is stupid too. That young man was lucky!

Yes, mistakes were made, it was pissing down, by the look of the chipper, truck and bobcat etc these were not newbies.
They were just trying to save time and nearly paid the price.`1
You don't earn much money in hospital. (Or the cemetery)

Good post. Hardhats (and chaps?)too, not newbies.

What a silly way to go about doing things.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BLkgWFh9lDs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mortis and tenon cut. Never used one to dump a tree over. When topping a tree on a steep mtn for a skidder to take away, you can use thy cut so the too stays attached to the tree until the machine drag snaps it free. So the trunk first roll down on you.

The near miss did not look like rushing to me. The sawyer all dancing around,pulling his saw out and coming right around to the other side, nipping some slash along the way, the other guys in and out and around, pounding wedges with some inappropriate implement, while a bobcat is "pushing" and a chipper is blaring. Then it all goes south from cutting it up it thin.

I work in the rain when it rains, I rush every job everyday. Not even close to how I would've approached that tree. I was amazed to see that kind of iron and that size of crew working on a easy tree(s) like in that vid, going about it the way they were.

Tongue and groove works ok for smaller stems you have to wedge over. but it is just on way to skin a cat. You also take the chance of snapping the hinge wood with this cut depending on species.

Tongue and groove works ok for smaller stems you have to wedge over. but it is just on way to skin a cat. You also take the chance of snapping the hinge wood with this cut depending on species.

You want a wedge with a real steep taper, like the ally one in the vid. A plastic one will snap the hinge before it lifts it enough to push it where you want.
Almost a useless technique - just can't lift enough to get something to go against the lean more than a little bit. If you have to lay into the wedge then it'll break the hinge every time. And if it's that small, and not far against the lean you can push it over by hand.

Definitely one to practise where it doesn't matter - because one hit too many on the wedge and its free to fall anywhere with no hinge at all.

Just noticed someone asked where you would use it - I do a lot of felling feral trees in native veg. Two rules - no damage to natives, and no hang ups. That's where I use it, wandering around in the scrub with a saw, axe and a wedge (and a couple of litres of fuel/oil/tools in a backpack). It's just very rarely useful - if it's too small to wedge normally then you can usually just push it, or make a series of spears and bring it down vertically.

I love how they kept all that side lean weight on...big branch...went that way, rookie move

Maybe not enough force to push it over, but surely not enough room : the loader is already at the stump, how can they think that it can go forward to overcome the weight of the big limb? More over, against the slope...

Heres a top coming from today. A rip cut. Huge multi stemmed tree for the location. Hoping put a full video together of the job when I get time.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Bi2gHY_DKYk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reg, I've never really done crane work, whenever I see a top that big come off that smooth I just smile and shake my head.
Well done sir. :thumbup::D

I rarely have the room to set that size a pick on the ground. When I do, sweet!

Attachments

• trees 046_edited.jpg
    trees 046_edited.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 68
Nice short vid. Good camera op too, who is it?

So the job with the 100t went well? That was quite the beefy, bushy top.

Back