Tree felling vids

lol, like others said,good on him for posting the shit out there. Now other self taught at university of YT may learn from this stuff.

Give the guy a break!!

I agree, I just didn't quite understand why Human was getting beat up for stuff everybody else has probably done at one time or another.

I don't think anyone is beating him up. Truth hurts, maybe. I only have observed fact-based observations about him/ his work from people.

No... the guy (Human) that broke his pelvis...
Here's the video:

Check out it at 11:00
the still of this vid shows the size of the piece that nearly clobbered him

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BfgTdoyB738" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

About 45 seconds or so, is that guy cutting as close to his rope as it looks? Once, if not twice?

Next question ... past 11:00 when it shows the section swinging around and almost whacking his head, then the trunk, should a good ground person have held the rope tight as shown, or seen the problem coming and released a good amount of rope when it was still on the opposite side?

No and yes.

The groundie should have let it run more, no matter what property damage occured.

And the climber shoulda rigged it out in smaller pieces.

No and yes.

The groundie should have let it run more, no matter what property damage occured.

And the climber shoulda rigged it out in smaller pieces.

Ah ... you answered the 3rd question I was going to add, but didn't. About the size. I was wondering if some guys like him go too large to impress on-camera, or maybe just out of habit and time-saving.

He could have safely gone that big if he would have rigged it differently.

FTR, I woulda watched it and jumped around to the other side of the tree.

Don't EVER let yourself be "stuck" in a position.

ALWAYS be ready to GTF outta Dodge, FAST.

Very well said Butch,I have moved out of the impact zone last minute multiple times.
You gotta visualize the reaction to your actions!

Wow that was scary to watch, he almost got killed twice! used a couple of his cat lives for sure.
All I can say is at least he fessed up to doing something that almost got him killed, and he's put it out there in super slow motion for us all to see. That takes something.
But, there were ways he could have avoided it. Hopefully it is a learning experience for him and for people who watch it.

Very well said Butch,I have moved out of the impact zone last minute multiple times.
You gotta visualize the reaction to your actions!

Yes, but only very occasionally... like once every couple years... if you are doing it on a regular basis, your rigging game could use some improvement...

If the groundie had let that piece run it could have killed the climber.... 6" to 6' would have been disastrous...

I think that the groundy didn't let it run at all. The rope's length seems just the size of the side reach of the limb.
First drop is tensioning the rope, then horizontal swing until the butt jumps off the cut, then "verticalising" the rope while the swing continues around the trunk. I can't see any slippage of the rope (not able to see a 6" though).

Absolutely its clear that the groundie didn't let it run at all... might have saved dude's life by holding tight..... angle of the dangle makes a lot of difference in how far a groundie would need to let that piece run to safely clear the climber.. could have been 15' or more. Just hard to tell with that set up.... maybe too far to clear the play house... And there is no way it makes sense to put your life in a groundie's hands when there are so many other options

With the arrangement in that video, the climber's life appears to be in the groundie's hands at every given moment.

I thought both lines were just locked off,otherwise one totally could have ran the tip tie straight down,right? Weight would just transfer to the butt tie....

Back