Tree felling vids

He could have bored in just like he did and gently (with a wider hinge) tapped the wedges into the bore cut (one each side) and then tripped the back. Gently because he was so close to the rotten hinge. But if you trip the back right, you can always slip a wedge in the rear too. Just sayin

Couldn't be that a case for a back cut first type of cut?
Cut the rear with setting as many wedges as possible in the width, stop to keep a fat hinge at the end. Then cut the face, as usual with 2 cuts if the wound is sound enough, or with many small cuts to "grind" the trunk if the wood is too punky and tends to settle on the bar (and be ready to run).
A rope should be a better idea though.

And a rope in the tree would have probably solved the whole mess. As dead as the trees was, I doubt I would have done the back cut first with that obvious of lean or weight Marc Antoine.

My nephew just interviewed with these guys. What a cool gig they had.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8Dt1jhf7W7Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm not sure, haven't been there in 20 years. I do remember it being an amazing state park.

Do you believe this kind of weakness is often detectable to the more experienced?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iG5Eudv-RWo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There is every reason to believe that cutter is very experienced.

There is every reason to believe that cutter is very experienced.
That's another aspect. The question wasn't whether he was experienced, but if this kind of weakness is "often detectable" to the more experienced.

Do you believe this kind of weakness is often detectable to the more experienced?

Wish the video showed more of the tree and trunk. At about 1:10 the trunk is clearly disintegrating in front of him rather than falling in a manner the notch was cut for. He bails a couple Escape boils down to a matter of seconds.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iG5Eudv-RWo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You know you're up against a rotten best, you just don't know how mean or compliant it will be.

Trees rarely split like that, but they do sometimes. Often rotten trees cooperate with good techniques being employed.

In someone's residential setting, a feller would be more easily able to strap the snot out of the tree for support, whereas in the bush, often it's saw, wedges, and maybe a skidder winch with a low-set pull line.

That's the point it looks like he should have pulled back and bailed.
Precisely, that's what he did, just one second after the first split. But with the step slope, he had some troubles to bail out.
The trunk began splitting like barberchairing but you are right with the word "disintegrating", the whole thing collapsed. Scary !
My guess is that he was aware of something could possibly turn wrong, or he wouldn't react so rapidly.

A defect showing outside can be read, but what about its extend inside and the remaining strength (or actually lack of strength)?
I do know that the faller's security books say "in doubt, don't do it". I don't speak for the idiots who will do it blindly, no matter what, but for the experienced faller, I guess it's a matter of confidence and mitigating the risks.

Like this other one:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-GyZpEUDOts" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
The defect is obvious, far less is its effect on the trunk integrity.

Precisely, that's what he did, just one second after the first split. But with the step slope, he had some troubles to bail out.
The trunk began splitting like barberchairing but you are right with the word "disintegrating", the whole thing collapsed. Scary !
My guess is that he was aware of something could possibly turn wrong, or he wouldn't react so rapidly.

video I posted
- He was watching intently overhead. The way the bark started to break on the left side implies that lean caused that strain. The internal decay could have been evident by the sawdust and how the saw felt compared to solid wood cutting.

video you posted
- with a tree that defective, one thing that stands out is how many tripping hazards and chunks of wood he left laying around interfering with several directions of escape. Also that more distance was covered with the saw's safety in mind than the man in the previous video. Also, even though I don't mind tree workers one-handing little saws, a question mark lingers where he was one-handing that size of saw on that particular tree.

I remember someone pointing out that Euro type bore cutting tecniques would have negated the dangers of that tree barberchairing:D

I actually wonder if a better notch might have reduced the risk of BBC... in the second video looks like he's either so perfect every time he doesn't need to check the notch or he may have gotten a little complacent with a bit of overlap in the cuts.. he didn't bother to check the notch... If the tree starts to move then stalls for a moment when the bypass kerf closes, all that new energy from all the momentum of that monster tree gets put on the base. It doesn't take much movement with all that weight up top to push the tree to failure splitting the horizontal grain... If that makes sense...

I also wonder if it makes sense to plunge cut those trees.. and why an experienced faller wouldn;t use a plunge cut when there is a good chance of BBC...
He moved out of danger alright, but it was a 50-50 chance for the saw!

I remember someone pointing out that Euro type bore cutting tecniques would have negated the dangers of that tree barberchairing
I wonder who could have said that...:/:
With boring a trunk that weak, my fear is that it could sit down on the saw by crushing the remaining wood under the monstrous weight of the tree. That could be annoying at least.

When you bore something like that, always use a reaming cut, to avoid being trapped.
Any logger worth his salt knows that.

Back