Barber chair

nope, yours showed it better angus! scary, cut the only root that was really doing anything:O

As promised yesterday, pictures of a 64 year old barberchair.
You can see where they started chopping an undercut, and had to stop because of the noise. There is the remnants of a wreath, someone left on "liberation day" May 5th, rotting on the stump.

Attachments

• PB120002.JPG
    PB120002.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 106
  • PB120004.JPG
    PB120004.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 105
Great conversation...special thanks to Graeme for his erudite contribution.

When we have G. McMahon posting to the TH, and Jerry Beranek...well, we're running with the big dogs, boys and girls.
8)

That's cool, Stig. I can't believe it hasn't rotted yet.
If it's like those oaks I had on one thread ,they last a long time .I had pics of a cut made in the 30's ,rotted on the outside ,solid as a rock 2 inchs in .

I've never been there but I imagine that Denmark would likely have a climate much like we in this area .Unlike La ,Misssissippi or Florida we do not have constant humidity that would promote decay .

When we have G. McMahon posting to the TH, and Jerry Beranek...well, we're running with the big dogs, boys and girls.
8)

You are a fairly big dog yourself, Burnham.
About the size of Jasper!

I've never been there but I imagine that Denmark would likely have a climate much like we in this area .Unlike La ,Misssissippi or Florida we do not have constant humidity that would promote decay .

Also, we don't have any termites!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Those trees pulling their stumps when they barberchair. That could be a good beginning for a movie about lost gold, or the mummy arising again :\:

That was a bad tree angus! 'Tub of manure' translates around here to 'bag of pus.'

In the local forests most redcedar stumps that were felled about 100 years ago still look very much the same from the outside but they're all hollow.

In the local forests most redcedar stumps that were felled about 100 years ago still look very much the same from the outside but they're all hollow.

I am amazed that redwood last so much longer than redcedar. I thought it would be more or less the same, but a 100 year old redwood stump is still sound.
I bought some blocks from the stump of a redwood logged in 1929 and although brittle, it is still fine.
When I finally get around to turning bowls from it, I'll post some pictures. So far it's been sitting for 3 years waiting for me to have the time.

On one of the forums a gent talked about two giant Douglas fir stumps ,7-8-10 feet across .Someplace in Washington or Oregon .These things were cut about WW 1 time period .Still so solid he could not shake them with a D7 Cat .

I've never dealt with a nearly 100 year old stump but I have on some about 50 or so . You might be able to break them up with a dozer but to pop one out takes a blast or a big track hoe .

Depends on the species ,oak lasts forever ,maple gives it up after maybe 10 years .In 20 you can't tell it was ever there unless you get to digging then you will still hit roots .

I am amazed that redwood last so much longer than redcedar. I thought it would be more or less the same, but a 100 year old redwood stump is still sound.
I bought some blocks from the stump of a redwood logged in 1929 and although brittle, it is still fine.
When I finally get around to turning bowls from it, I'll post some pictures. So far it's been sitting for 3 years waiting for me to have the time.

Depends on the individual tree, to some degree. I have seen solid buckskin oldgrowth western red cedar snags that could and in some cases are still milled. Trees dead for decades. And oldgrowth blowdowns that have been on the ground for 60 years or more, same thing.

I'd bet that most of those hollow stumps Gord refers to were hollow when the tree was felled lo these many years ago...and of course they still are :|:.

Oldgrowth red cedar with no rot may not last as long as oldgrowth redwood, but it does not disappear all that quickly either.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SUTDPza47qA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SUTDPza47qA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Yuck I hate hemlock.

I don't know why the outside of cedar always stays sound for so much longer than the interior. I'm sure you're right burnham about some of those but I can't recall seeing a single fully sound old cedar stump, and they can't all have been rotten, lots of sound ones around (live ones i mean.)

Talking about old, sound stumps...bit of a derail...
I'll post a thread when I get the pictures BUT:

Two days ago I stood next to a Bermuda cedar (Juniperus bermudiana) stump that was over 7,000 years old when it died and had been under water for around 3,000...then hauled up and dumped on the shore for 20 or so years. They were found during dredging to deepen the ship channel so they were 20-30' down and would have been buried in silt. A client of mine had it dragged off the shore and brought to his garden.

Its nearly as sound as the day it died, there is good timber in it and its cousins, not millable for planks but usable for things like sculpture, and lampposts and whatnot. The worms had maybe penetrated 3-4mm, you could still smell the scent of cedar, yet some portions smelled like burnt tyres when cut and sanded.

The one stump is about 10' x 8' (approximately) and the depth of the rootball is like 1' at most, it would have been growing on rock. Simply amazing!

Talking about old, sound stumps...bit of a derail...
I'll post a thread when I get the pictures BUT:

Two days ago I stood next to a Bermuda cedar (Juniperus bermudiana) stump that was over 7,000 years old when it died and had been under water for around 3,000...then hauled up and dumped on the shore for 20 or so years. They were found during dredging to deepen the ship channel so they were 20-30' down and would have been buried in silt. A client of mine had it dragged off the shore and brought to his garden.

Its nearly as sound as the day it died, there is good timber in it and its cousins, not millable for planks but usable for things like sculpture, and lampposts and whatnot. The worms had maybe penetrated 3-4mm, you could still smell the scent of cedar, yet some portions smelled like burnt tyres when cut and sanded.

The one stump is about 10' x 8' (approximately) and the depth of the rootball is like 1' at most, it would have been growing on rock. Simply amazing!

Yes sir pics and any othe info greatly appreciated on that.
Most appreciated.:P

Just found this thread and thought I would share some of my experiences :) In this video I was falling a very tall red fir snag that had a hard lean, but, being a typical red fir, had a sound core, so I chose a coos bay backcut to keep it from chairing.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rCCVKy-KigI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In this video, same area, the next day I came across this old white fir, which tend to be pretty rotten, and the interior wood can be hard to savvy, but very heavy, so a coos bay would not have worked very well since most of the integrity was in the sapwood, but hard to figure out where it was the best. As explained in the vid, I should have bored from each side, and backstrapped it...I should have, but was in a hurry as there was a lot of snags to fall, and this one didn't "seem" too bad, but I was ready for it if it did some weird shenanigans. I really didn't expect this, but it happened anyhow, so it is a good thing that I was prepared. Btw, the powersaw in both these vids is one of my oldest and most tired, and although, being modded heavily is not my best by any means...after all, I was day waging on these fires and didn't want to abuse my best, especially with all of the burned up old dusty ones that I fell later on.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-GyZpEUDOts" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back