Opinions on Motorcycles?

I REALLY REALLY wanted one!! For a lot of reasons!!
After burying two freinds, and helping anothe haul his wrecked (the beatiful 1300 Shadow that I loved) bike home. All due to stupid people, I conceded!!!
One was killed sitting at a stop light, a drunk ran right over the top of him as he ran the red light. One died when a car pulled out in front of him and he T-boned it. Both DOA.
The other buddy had a car pul out in front of him, then seeing what they did slammed on the brakes to make sure he was alright!! He had to lay it over and slide it under the car. A few scrapes but he walked away.
They have lost fascination with me.

I bought a bike 3 years ago. First year I never rode it but took the motorcycle course to get a better insurance rate.

Two years ago I put it on the road and all went very well until the fall. Another vehicle went the wrong way down a one way and forced me to lay the bike down.

She was found 100% at fault and the insurance company gave me money to replace the bike. Bought the same modle but it was 4 years newer & with less time on it.

The reason I got it in the first place was to save money with th high gas prices and for fun! The bike gets over 500km on a full take!!! :D Ya gotta love them big single thumpers!

2004 KLR-650 Duel-Sport,

HC

Attachments

• IMG_0521.JPG
    IMG_0521.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 3
I remember when they introduced helmet law in California. The Hell's Angels, Satan's Slaves, etc....all the outlaw bikers really pissed and moaned about it. Used to haul azz down the freeway on my bike not wearing a helmet...didn't even think about it in those days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, Just to give a tiny update.

I've signed up for a class on 1/28.
That's five hours of classroom instruction,

Then 12 hours over the course of two days riding around on the course.

Pretty cool, the class gives a discount on insurance as well as takes the place of the driving portion of the DMV motorcycle test.

That's really cool, we have similar classes offered here. I never took one but it wouldn't hurt to try and lower my insurance that's $1200 bucks a year! Oy Vey

Holy Shit!

Bike insurance here is a flat rate... $214 for the year.

I'm on my fourth bike! I sold my '79 GL1000 (14000 miles) 2 years ago and felt like a boob, so for my 50th b'day present I bought myself a Suzuki Katana 750 ('02).

Hmmm! It's been a LONG time since I have been concerned with opening up the throttle on something. It will definatley get your pulse up!

It is mandatory here to wear a helmet, but only a fool likes grasshopper stuck to their teeth!:P And at least if the big one happens the odds are better of having a good looking face on the corpse!

Ah, crud I just remembered I'm talkin' with a bunch of tree guys. We're NOT pretty, we're tough!

Opps forgot the pic!

Attachments

• Suzuki 002 (Small).jpg
    Suzuki 002 (Small).jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 81
Nice ride for your open country. I think you once said something to the effect that it was so flat there when your dog ran away it took three days for you to lose sight of him. :O

By the way, welcome to the House.

Dave

LOL, I did say that, and not only to Dave, I speak the truth! Yup at 250km/hr things just seem to blur. I guess I AM getting old.:?

I remember when.

My last bike was a 1971 sportster, black. it would take a wrench each trip to keep the nuts and bolts tight.

my best bike was a 1973 honda 500. now that bike was nice.

now I am just a passenger.

more fun on the back.

hmm

also to costly to own and insure a bike (for me)

Had bikes from my teens till nearly 40, lost several good friends on them too. Last was an XS1.1 Yammy, solo seat, shortened rails, 4:1 zorst baffled with VW, twin spots matt black/dirt, Vincent rear light, handled like a pig on any thing other than straight roads, quality ratter. Also had the GPz750, Suzuki GT750 (kettle cos it used to boil up!!) Honda 400N with sidecar, and too many other heaps of crap.

A good friend of mine had a katana just like yours, I rode it numerous times. A real nice bike. I only took it to 220km/h but I am in BC ya gotta be on it to get up to those speeds around here.

Good luck with your upcoming course Deva. 8)

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Dual sport, worst of both worlds.:D

Ahhh, if you buy it Deva I wish you the best of luck with it. Just please, please, hop many a curb and bust out massive catwalks at a moments notice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll keep you updated,
Cause I just bought it.

So much fun, I had a blast in the compost yard for about a half hour.

No key required though, oh well.
I'm keeping it at the tree shop before I get a chain for the
powerpole out front and a disc brake lock thingy. and I guess a helmet too.

The guy said it'll do 80 on the freeway no problem, larger sprokets.

Came with extra brake pads, tons of maintenance equip, the shop manual.
He's maintained it religiously, and the guy before was a moto mech in san diego.

Anyhoo, I'm stoked.

Back