200T no one can fix local

I think gas quality and maybe even composition varies greatly from area to area

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok now I am going nuts... I want to pull apart some suggested items on the saw and I have to get laundry done, cook for vacation (spag sauce and lasagna), fix lunch for the boys... Well at least it is a day off..... LOL
I will get on some of the stuff this afternoon.... Then we'll see where we are at.

Well never got to the 200t Sun and got home tonight and got busy with kids instead of the saw... Kids first, the way it has to be..
Now momma's turn... thinking I am just gonna have to wait to see what tomorrow brings...

A tip for packing, drain the tanks reasonably well but you don't have to be perfect with it. Then put the saw in a thick plastic garbage bag (or double bag it if you're using the white kitchen garbage bags) and tie it closed. Then just pack it with whatever you're using- bubble wrap, styrofoam, whatever. That way they can't give you any hassle about gas or oil. Some of those clerks act like oil is radioactive or something. :roll:

Seriously, keep your bar and chain. I have 2 new and 4 used bars for the 200T hanging in the shop. I keep plenty of spares because I prefer to have that stuff on hand when I need it. I also have about 2/3 of a roll of 63PM chain and about 6-7 new loops made up hanging on a hook. The only thing you will do by including the bar and chain is add to your shipping weight.
;)

Back when I was cruising in my pimpmobile I had to stow my gear in the trunk. My 200t was stinking up the inside of the car, so I kept it in a plastic bag. I soon noticed the condensation/water build up om the saw and I knew it wasn't a good thing. I took to wrapping it in a towel first and that eliminated that problem.

Sthil, Echo, Poulan, I bet they are all the same mixes. For sure, Echo, Husky and Stihl premium mixes are all fine to use.

Nope...Echo mix... mixed with Exxon (only one we know so far) make a fiber that clogs the exhaust on the saw... Some sort of chemical reaction to an additive. I have seen it first hand and it aint pretty... Looks like fiber glass that is carbonized...

I send a saw or two now and then..

I place the bag in the box and put stuff in bottom.
Then the saw that is in another bag, tied up, and stuff around it.

I use news paper a lot. Saved my ass more than once!

I was told there is less heat in a gallon of premium than there is in regular.

A synthetic blend is the best as pure synthetic is supposed to not protect engine as well if it sits for a while.

I have had trouble with the Zama carbs using a sealant on the Welch plugs. The new gas (ethanol?) eats it up.

If the saw runs crappy when you change its position the flop tube in the gas tank is suspect.

--or believe it or not ,a crank seal .
Al, I had that happen.
I came so close to throwing that damn saw against the wall several times. My Grandpa asked me 3 questions about it. He was gone for about 1/2 an hour. Returned with new crank seals.

When I asked him how he figured it out with just 3 questions he said because I taught you & the frustration on your face told me you had all ready checked everything else:)

I was told there is less heat in a gallon of premium than there is in regular.

A synthetic blend is the best as pure synthetic is supposed to not protect engine as well if it sits for a while.

QUOTE]

don't think that's true. We've been running full synthetic Mobil Racing 2T for years now....just like any fuel/mix blend, it's best to use within a few weeks....or add a stabilizer....

Who has gas sitting around more than a week???? LOL
I always find that funny when they ask me at a shop... Old gas?? I just laugh and say I wish it would last that long.. LOL
During weed eating season... we go through 5-10 gal a day, 5gal of mix and 5 unmixed for the DR... Clearing season... 2-3 Gal a day on mixed.. Two five gallon cans dont last long in my stable....

Conventional oil is supposed to provide protection for a longer period for the saw if it sits around I don't know if it is true, but have read it several times. Who was it ,Al?, that tore down the old homey that was well protected by the 16-1 mix in it.

Who was it ,Al?, that tore down the old homey that was well protected by the 16-1 mix in it.
That was old blue but I didn't tear it down ,cleaned some chit out of the carb though .Just dumped in some fuel and it lite off on a half dozen pulls after sitting for 20 years .

That's not as uncommon as one would think because that monster of a David Bradley did the same thing .

I've not experianced nearly the problems with the old boat anchors that ran the Tillotson HL's as with the Walbro's on the Stihls . Fact is ,I have a damned good running 042 that gives me fits .If that stupid thing sits for 3 months,wet or dry I have to rebuild the carb . The last time it layed down on me I banished that son of a brick to sit on the shelf until I get over my pout .That's been two years ago,still pissed at that thing .:X ;)

Another climber buddy of mine was having saw problems (200T). He's been using one of my spare 200Ts for almost a week and I finally made him drop his saw off here this afternoon since he wasn't any closer to getting it fixed.

Typical problem of running lean, wouldn't idle down, acted worse when it was hot, etc. So I started at the carb and couldn't find anything wrong. Swapped carbs with one of my running saws and no change. More importantly, his carb worked fine on my saw. So the next target for investigation was the crank seals. It sure acted like the flywheel side crank seal was bad, it even ran better when I coated the seal with grease and then reassembled and fired up the saw.

30 minutes ago another buddy called and asked me if I checked the impulse hose. I said "Of course not, I'm an idiot!" Sure enough, the impulse line was unplugged. I put it all back together and the saw runs fine. :|:

At least I get my saw back from Matt tomorrow, he gets his saw and it didn't cost anything (other than my time). Hopefully he will offer me something for the use of my saw for a week. But he's a typical broke tree climber, so there's a good chance I did this just for the satisfaction of helping somebody out. God knows enough people helped me out when I was younger.

Your such a good guy Brian.

Be thankful it was just an unplugged pulse line and not a seal. I tangled with a 200 a few weeks back that had a bad seal. The seals on those saws are definately different. They are a very hard seal. The outer lip is almost like a ceramic material and some what brittle. I had to practically chisel the old seal out. Putting them in is no fun either. I broke one trying to get it in. The second one of the pair I was able to get in with no problem but I had to be real careful and go slow with lots of lubricant.

Without going into a long story as there is more to this other than a leaking seal just to get a rearhandled 200 parts saw up to being able to use as a ground saw.

I had a go round myself with one of those Zama carbs. Darn saw ran great in the shop. Got the saw out on a job and then puked. A carb kit worked on this one along with a good long soaking in some solvent for the carb body. Still had to fuss with it to get it dialed in. We used it today and used it hard to see if it would act -up. It didn't. :D

Well, shit. That wasn't the point I was trying to make. I'm really not that nice, I just feel guilty sometimes for all the breaks I've gotten over the years and I'm just trying to appease the gods and bring myself some good karma. It's all selfish motives, believe me.
:evil:

Well now that I am back from vacation.... That saw needs to be boxed and got out to ya Brian to see what ya can do fer her...
I will let you know when its on its way probably y the end of the week.. Playing catch up right now ..... Got the chippper back running though... TG for warranty... Governor on the carb flaked out and it ran too hot and blew a rod or sumtin.. All better now :)

Back