How's the splice today?

• Thread starter Wagnaw
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 179K
It was one of the forums not FB, that was a tough one for me as well Peter,I fudged three attempts before I realized what i had done wrong on top of it being used rope. It's still sitting here staring me down with intimidation,i got some ky though and will have victory!!

How's the splice today?!?! Not worth a damn. Used tachyon. Guy wants it for monday, if I had more time I'd lay it out in the back yard and milk 100ft or more to get it to bury easier. Didn't win on this one.
View attachment 66909

I've spliced plenty of used Tachyon and never have I used a lube, that splice looks a little messy which won't help on the final bury, it should be as smooth as you can get it, I also take out the three purple core strands to create a little more room.

You have me there, it is a bit messy, but in my defense, I was trying to beat the living crap...... errr.... massage the crossover....with my fists.....and feet......

On a serious note I did remove the cabled core strands, I haven't dissected the splice yet, I suspect I picked up a strand in the bury. If I had more time I would have tried again. GF calls it stubborn, I call it persistence.

Does anybody remember if it was in here or not where someone had a really great looking swedish fid made by a friend? I remember thinking how cool it was but couldn't remember if it was on Facebook or Treebuzz or somewhere else.

At Fids 'n' Fibers in NH last year the fellow sitting next to macswan had a homemade fid, with a beautiful turned handle. Can't recall his name...

http://portal.treebuzz.com/author/mac-swan

24005282764_3d683ddebe_b.jpg

Do you have some measurements on that fid?

Actually all I need is the copper tube thickness, then I can figure the rest out.

I think I'll make one for Richard, my partner.

Do you have some measurements on that fid?

Actually all I need is the copper tube thickness, then I can figure the rest out.

I think I'll make one for Richard, my partner.
Sorry, I don't. Hop over on the TB thread in the link and see if you can get an answer.

Quite honestly, I'd rather just guess, than visit Treebuzz.

I made a rig and ring at treestuff last year and my tapers were so god awful in the end result, so I remade it last night using this rope instead and also spliced the xring into an endless loop.

24872721696_8a917f88b3_b.jpg

Looks good mate.

I haven't splice much for a while but knocked up an xring cambium saver type thing for riggin. I'll take a pic tomorrow.

I've had this rigging ring for a while but haven't had time or any rope to splice it with, I bought some Marlow Raptor and shared my work on FB, Marlow Industrial then shared it on their page.

Pretty chuffed:D

Attachments

• 20160214_191944.jpg
    20160214_191944.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 77
Back