How's the splice today?

• Thread starter Wagnaw
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 179K
Bought a new climbing line the other day, Yale Sumac 11.7mm. Naturally the first thing I wanted to do was put a splice in it, but it's been a while since my last splice. About a year ago I broke my TS wire fid and I bought a Brian Toss wand to replace it. This was the first opportunity I've had to use the wand and man what a difference. I've never had such an easy time burying the core. I followed Nick's instructions from his splicing series and it definitely helped. This feels like my first clean honest to goodness splice with no cheating, cutting corners, or cussing!

All that being said, I really struggled with the whipping. I wish Nick would make a separate video for whiplocking 24 strand to supplement the existing media. I'm sure I could have started a little further from the throat, but I like the idea of keeping the whipping as close as possible. Needleless :D to say, there were a few bent needles after I was finished.
KIMG0052.jpg

If that whipping was a struggle, then you won, brother Hunnicutt. That's a real nice looking splice and surely finished proper.

Tommy_B...you as well, mighty nice piece of kit, well done.

Last edited:
Tommy, it's a strange looking area between the whipping and the eye, like you reduced the eye's size by a stitch.

Hello mate. The rope is New England Firefly so not a conventional doublebraid. It's a kernmantle splice and it was the first I'd done. I got given the rope by a mate and wanted to have a go after seeing a mate do it on Facebook. Always fancied a go but never got round to trying it

Thanks Burnham:)

New climb line! Man, I love Yale's 11.7 mm 24 stand
6b30e5d3197e04901d090f35be5d0067.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Somewhere along the line I misplaced a splicing kit. I think it's at the shop. Not sure if these belong in this thread with all the pretty splices but I did these with a ball point pen for a fid.
IMG_2045.jpg

Sometimes I just wrap electrical tape into a point on tenex and use that as the fid. My picture hanging fid works almost as well as my fancy Toss Wand too. Not the tool that matters, but the end result.

F22D863F-7785-4096-A8B5-5E0F40E2F529.jpg
I?ve got to have the most unorganized garage in the county! This is about my tenth time since New Years I?ve gone out to clean it. I?m easily distracted when I set off for this task. I?ve been staring at this pile thinking of what to splice next. I know tenex is the gateway drug to splicing and I?m trying so hard to say no, but it?s so easy to get addicted. Any suggestions?

Rich. Sounds exactly like my shop cleaning aspirations. Sometimes when I 'clean' my shop I think it winds up dirtier and more disorganized then when I started. :whine:

View attachment 84179
I?ve got to have the most unorganized garage in the county! This is about my tenth time since New Years I?ve gone out to clean it. I?m easily distracted when I set off for this task. I?ve been staring at this pile thinking of what to splice next. I know tenex is the gateway drug to splicing and I?m trying so hard to say no, but it?s so easy to get addicted. Any suggestions?

Don't start splicing! Because once you do knot tying is like watching a cavemave tying their shoe. Highly addictive and destroyer of marriages. Your wife will be wondering who this splice chick is and why is she occupying my husbands time once a month. Ruinous I tell you!

Loopies and dead eyes. Did a couple rings as well. Tenex. Yup. That is all I decided I would do. I pay someone else to hurt their hands and sweat on the more complex shat. I won't even splice 3 strand as simple as it is. I make more money using it than what I save splicing. Dead eyes of Tenex are a convenience thing. Just make a pact with your self.
Maybe if I had more time on my hands and a shop that was really just mine.

Run while you still can! For the love of everything holy save yourselves it's a dark path and nothing good shall come of it!

Back