How's the splice today?

• Thread starter Wagnaw
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 179K
I've browsed this subsection and I'm not really finding my answer.

I really want to try my hand at splicing. Are the kits on TreeStuff a good start? I'm looking to make whoopies, splice climbing lines and various cordage for arborist rings and the like. I know that it's regarded as good practice to use household items to start with. But I'm a firm believer to buy it once and to buy what you need. So if I can get the books and tools in one fell swoop, I'm all about that.

So forget the advanced kit for what I'm wanting to achieve?

Again, splicing 24 - 16 strand, whoopie slings, and various cordage ie: beeline etc. incorporating arborist rings.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the help....

You can buy the other component if you need. A wire fid, a needle, and a marlin spike are the extent of specialized tools you really need.

Ruler, tape, marker, thats about it. The wire fid and tubular fide will help with the samson instructions.

Depending on what you plan on doing, you might need a truck, chain and 1 1/2 inch pipe.

This was some old rope my dad picked up at an auction. He was bidding on a crane winch and this stuff was on it. The single hardest splice I've ever done.

Used rope sucks to splice big and dirty rope sucks even more. I did this for my brother. It will be a tow/recovery rope. Still needs to be stitched.

Attachments

• splice in hand.jpg
    splice in hand.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 86
  • long splice.jpg
    long splice.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 86
I made a 20" pull fid out of 9/16" aluminum rod I had. Drilled out the end and crimped and JB welded a hooked 16 penny nail in the end. Made a loooong taper and used the fid twice, about a 40" burry.

I still say it's all Nick's fault. He got me hooked on this splicin' stuff. :P
That's my first ever Brummel splice. :D

I built the 10' sling this morning, came out pretty good. I put a bigger eye on this one.....

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0162 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0162 - Copy.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0160 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0160 - Copy.JPG
    564.1 KB · Views: 72
Back