How's the splice today?

• Thread starter Wagnaw
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 181K
Thanks! Here's a 32ft basal anchor sling I made from some left over rope. I usually just tie off my climb line if I use a basal anchor, but I have a few upcoming jobs where I'm not sure I can get a canopy anchor and I can't get access for a basal anchor, but I do have access to sizable limbs about 10 ft up to anchor to.

IMG3396.jpg

Yupper, done by me (see no whippin' yet).

I have no idea how it works, I just got it yesterday, had a sale at a supply house in London, and just got the eye done. I'm itchin' to get my HH on it, but the shop has me running crazy, pool, spa and well pumps and a few A/C jobs I gotta tend to... Hopefully this afternoon.

Crap, Jim fergots me manners, thanks!

I have no idea how it works, I just got it yesterday, had a sale at a supply house in London, and just got the eye done. I'm itchin' to get my HH on it, but the shop has me running crazy, pool, spa and well pumps and a few A/C jobs I gotta tend to... Hopefully this afternoon.

:thumbup::D

Why the 2" eye?

I've had troubles in the past with splicing a tight eye on different double braid ropes for the first time, so I'll give myself a little larger eye so I make sure I get the baggy cover smoothed out and be able to see that I've done a good splice. I'll end up putting a band-it on to keep the eye tighter, but next Cherry bomb I'll put a tight eye on it. ;)

60 metres of cougar orange arrive the other day in a box after work. A quick brew and trip to the shed and this emerged...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 74
I'd like to try that rope sometime, our exchange rate with the US is kind'a making it tough to make purchases, I don't know of any supplier in Ontario who has it.

60 metres of cougar orange arrive the other day in a box after work. A quick brew and trip to the shed and this emerged...

thats some nice work there rich , beer and splicing go hand in hand I don't think I've ever done a splice without at least one :)

Haha. I am English mate.

A brew to me is a cup 'o' tea!

Bloody antipodeans, always takeing it down a notch! I thought the Brits were supposed to be the piss heads!?!

;)

Hey biggun! (AKA Rich, correct?) I'm a guy who is uninitiated in the ways of rope splicing. If you don't mind my asking, how long would you say it took you to splice that eye into that rope? You make it sound as though, with a bit of practice, a beautiful spliced eye like the one you just showed us here can be accomplished pretty quickly.

Same question goes out to RajElectric, (AKA Peter, correct?)

Also, just generally speaking, most skills of this nature take time to develop before a person becomes this efficient at it. So, just guessing, how long in weeks, months or years would you say it took to hone your skills to this level, that permits you to get so much done, so quickly?

Thank you both in advance for any answers you choose to give.

Tim

Tim,

You are correct on the name front. It is easier than it looks mate, a bit of practice and picking up useful techniques from other splicers helps. i did my first splice about 5 or 6 years ago after someone did one for me and it was a POS! I thought just do it myself. So checked youtube and spoke to a couple of mates and cracked on. I don't splice all that often these days and if I haven't done one for a while it takes a bit longer to make sure I have the calculations and measurement correct. Again, tips picked up can make the splice a whole lot easier and save time. I did the same rope for a friend of mine a week before so it was still pretty fresh in my head so I didn't time myself but I reckon that took about 35mins. All in with the wiping and a couple of tune changes on the iPhone.

Rigging rope is a lot easier, I kicked my 16mm Polydine with a saw about 2 foot from the splice. I got home after work, cut and resupplied it and was done in about 25 minutes. But I was match fit then.

These days I just I just splice if someone asks me or if I need a new bit of kit so I knock it up myself.

A couple of others I have knocked up...

In order of appearance.
Blue Tongue
Yale Hedera
Cougar Blue
Microfrog SRT setup out of 9mm Tenex
Homemade HAAS Mk1 9mm tenex
Homemade HAAS Mk2 6mm Liros
X-Ring Beast XL Woopie Sling

Attachments

• IMG_2270.jpg
    IMG_2270.jpg