milling thread

Exactly Dave. We have the covered carport area and the shop, but that is not lockable and the port has two sides open. This will be a better solution for some of the gear.
We hope to have the band mill in a month or so. Just waiting on the money that is supposed to be coming in.
For now, Robert is roughing it by milling planks and ripping them with a circular saw.
We have a lot of projects and soft wood is abundant. Seems a proper solution.
I would like to see you next time you are out this way Stephen.. Give me a jingle when you might be headed out again. :)

I am looking forward to having lots of planks to choose from. I have cabinetry and flooring to make as well as barn siding. Wood for decks and for my other shop. Soooooooo much I want to do.

Stephen if you have someone to give you a hand try a double ended bar and stick another powerhead on the mill.I made my own bar by cutting the nose off a long bar and with a bit of grinder and hacksaw work made a new bar pad tail.
You'd be amazed the extra speed and production. You don't even need to match the power heads, I used a 090 and a 066 together .
Worked like a charm, also build some ramps (similar to car ramps but higher) with double headed nails driven into the inclines so the log doesn't slip while you roll them up with the cant hook. Best two guys with two cant hooks on the big logs.
Real nice working at waist height rather then down on your knees.

We have talked about that Willard. We get some good size dia logs from time to time. There is one right now at 42+" dia by 30+' sitting on a hill side that sure could use a long bar with two saws to harvest. I have no other way to retrieve it save for making firewood. Beautiful log of pine. Mini will only pick up 16" at a time, it's that heavy. I would be interested in seeing the board foot I got out of it. I bet I could finish a couple sheds with it.
So I may go there.
Rob made the last one. We could easily make a larger CS mill.

I ran a two powerhead mill for a number of years, using a couple of 076s. With wide wood it does make a big difference, makes the process tolerable. :lol: Willard, I've always wondered, do they have to be the same saws as far as displacement and max rpms?

No you don't need matching power heads Jay.
With my 090-066 setup they help each other along. Don't need an auxiliary oiler either.
I did put a .404-8T rim on the 090 and a 7T on the 066.

Pulled the trigger last night on buying a granger g776-36 alaskan chainsaw mill. Says it will slab 32 inches wide. 225 bones, Stoked.

I've got my eye on a few pine logs in the park next door to slab up.

Be warned Bodean Alaskan milling is addictive. :)For only $225 money is well spent for the ammount of valuable lumber it can produce.

Yup, just sitting in the park waiting for me. They tried to use them to delineate a trail after some bogus removals. As I thought some kids kicked them down the hill into the gulley. I plan on milling them on site and pay my neighbor a plank/slab to help carry out the rest. Nobody oughta care, what's it to them? San Francisco is a take what you want kinda place but just give back and keep it weird. I know a lemon euc that flipped in a community garden just sitting there, figure I'll chat with them and give them a slab and welcome out of the stone ages of rounds and logs.

Stoked for this.

Had some good fun today got all the crotch wood slabs done but one waiting on a 7ft bar to then do the rest. Pecan
32e9b5930c19c99929547f50e9991a4e.jpg

7a3894f2650d42828ae09a6212c8712f.jpg

90bdf07d363cd168589860aa0dc2d65c.jpg

Really enjoy the Lucas so simple.

Cool, glad to see your having fun. I am getting geared up to do some milling myself with my little outfit, if the winter cooperates that is .

Just curious, what are you going to do with the slabs your cutting??

Me? Sand and Finnish them...make tables, shelves, flower beds, countertops, maybe blanks for those DIY's...put them on website for sale.
These city cats want this woodsy stuff to sink their claws into as they eat and drink sustaining the capitalistic drive of market bears the price...
and stuff.

So far I've learned that slabs don't need to be 4 inches thick...I'm going to go for 2 inches and inch and a half...
Figure keep it to something that I can just skillsaw. I don't know anything, just bought a hand plane and finish for the first time...and learned about stepped sandpaper.
a6ff8d786e0fe9f2dac74459404fb6fa.jpg
[/IMG]

Joel, Those look awesome, pecan to boot!
Beautiful wood, I love the crotch. Awesome detail.

My friend had a lucas mill, it was rad.
We would wreck redwoods and mill out house siding on site for the builders to store...

Wanna hear a funny one... ?
One of the neighbours was cutting up a dead pondo for firewood. A tourist drives by and wants to know if he would sell her some.. Only cut them to 1' cookies. She is coming back from the bay area with a pick up and paying $100.00 per for them. I guess for tables and stools? Gads!

My old boss said he saw $100 rounds, debarked and finished with some oil/ etc, as side tables in an LA store.

Back