milling thread

I have some friends that are starting a milling company here in LA. http://www.angelcitylumber.com/partners

Went to check up on them yesterday. Thought you guys would love it

cbb2f3d0cf57a6415847929f0aaf76c4.jpg

1d32780ada2af7461f1857ead0e0d4e3.jpg

bd56cc44dd76519a87c4cf6706e4515c.jpg
535c518328320317a1086a4d6a8152e1.jpg

The vacuum kiln :

b8a0002e64a3cede61accf728555c85a.jpg

Sexy guys:

d6e308fcc57d8a1344259dd251d64ace.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cool beans Nick, guy on the right looks vaguely familiar for some reason.
Killer floor Stephen.
Sorry to hear bout the knee Steve.

That's very very cool, Nick. Wow.

Maybe there is hope for LA.

Here's yesterday's woodpile on pallets and a few hours later my new wood bar for Spring! I passed out with a pork roast on the bbq later that afternoon. Gin and Juicing. Good lord.

90c1c9d0f7a4ce41067c2c3408f379c0.jpg
db82c3bbe2d04276b192eddea7736d54.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Way cool Nick. There is a slab guy here in Vegas that I know. He gets his stuff from New Mexico. His Uncle has an in with the Forest Service and he gets the fire damaged trees from there.

KIMG0625.jpg
A little black walnut, had a nice 8' log but couldn't get it on the trailer. Unfortunately had to cut it down so the dingo would lift it.

I want an alaskan mill to get long longs down to moveable slabs for bandsaw milling. Too much wood goes to waste.

Beautiful walnut.

I wanted to mill on site but alas we are tree guys not loggers and we needed to be finished up with the job. I tried every trick in the dingo playbook to get that log on there... told the new guy he might see me cry when I had to cut it

Did you try to remove your attachment and use a chain? Grapples are heavy. If not, maybe next time. I didn't think of that when I cut 2' off the butt of an oak mill log. Next time.

If you rip it in half, either with or without a mill, its half as heavy. Mill the rest elsewhere. You'll lose a bit from a freehand cut, but... I'll remember that next time, too.

Two guys with a helper handle on the non engine bar end and a chain length accordingly if alteration is needed, can make for a straighter cut without a mill. I've done it with a friend with both of us following some crayon lines. Safety on the helper handle end might be a concern, I guess if the chain broke it could whip around.

The long bars that came with the 090G that I inherited, came with holes on the ends for the helper handle that came with it. Being from long ago, I don't think it was supplied that way for milling, but for two people better handling the saw for falling cuts in big wood. It's a heavy saw.

Some helper handles the chain rides in a sprocket above a bearing within the handle, so the chain length needs to be sized to fit that. Other types the chain doesn't actually run within the handle so the standard length for the bar works.

At least, you have a loader...
You can grip the very end of the log with the loader and alternate the ends as needed. That gives you roughly half the load to move, the ground, some logs or the trailer/truck holding the other half. It could be problematic in tight access though.

We got a longer but not near as large in diameter (18" vs 30") on the trailer one end at a time. The squeezer grapple doesn't lift very high but I wouldn't be able to grab the bigger piece with the root grapple. I'll have to try the chain trick, I also think a set of forks might be nice.

To get out a very max capacity log, I used a dry plywood roadway, shingled toward the chipper, for skidding it. No way I would have been able to drag it on grass, plus I would have gouged the lawn up.

I've been wanting to build an axle/ wheel set up with a little log bunk. The idea being to have a heavier duty axle and wider, stronger tires for the back end of the log, than the AT provides.

If you're crafty, you can lift one end of the log, slip a fulcrum under, then lever it down to get the other end up in the air in order to get an axle under one or possibly both ends.

Small, round log chunks can make under-log rollers, you just have to keep leapfrogging them.

Yup little 3" diameter stuff works great for that. If you can get one end of the log up, she'll run on those as rollers. Forks work great for a lot of things too.

I've used a strap around the boom of my mini with no attachments on to lift the small end of big logs onto the very edge of the trailer. I would then carve a impression in the other end to 'match' the attachment plate and then you can lift/push the rest of a log onto a trailer pretty easy.

IMG_0434.JPG

In that pic you can see the lifting sling sitting on the edge of the trailer still. All those logs loaded and brought home with a ramrod 950.

Back