milling thread

I inspected the 36" bar, no oil for the last 2 inches and it wore a small groove on the bar. I figured the 461 won't have enough oil (turned to max).

Is there a good aftermarket hiflow oil pump? Or just easier and effective to hang a drip bottle?

Yeah yeah, a 661 would be better.....

I think the full wrap 660 uses a bigger pump, I don't know about the 461. I think the newer Stihls are known to be stingy.

Peter there used to be a high output oiler available for the 460 I believe it was 'stock' on the west coast 3/4 wrap saws but I could be wrong. Hopefully someone will chime in to confirm or give you part numbers if ones available for the 461.

Super cool fabricating as always. You've got the skills man. Nice work.

Thanks Justin.

Sean, I figured I could use the winch and dyneema line to pull the mill, save me from pushing it. I hope.

Thanks Justin.

Sean, I figured I could use the winch and dyneema line to pull the mill, save me from pushing it. I hope.

That line and winch seems ingenious to me. I've used an Alaskan a decent amount and pushing grows old.

I would consider an elastic rope, rather than static.

Might need to occasionally stop and clean your bar groove as you go, possibly with air pressure while still attached to the mill.

I'll give it a try Sean. I am pleased with how the dyneema feels, I don't put the direction lock on the hand winch, so it's easy to back it off when the chain gets bogged down.

I am making an aux oiler, but I did find a hiflow stihl oil pump for $133 from a dealer. Not sure if I should go that route?

If it's not ratcheting, that seems like it would be sweet.

Look on eBay for an oiler.

The aux oil seems like easy fabrication for you, and cheap.

Dave my machinist mentioned yesterday that he didn't have much firewood worked up yet, 2 logs through the mill and I think he should be OK now, all cut to 3x5"

IMG_0825.jpg

Some test milling at a custys place. Big learning curve. The drip oiler I have works, but not the best. What's a good method to drip oil right into the chain groove?

20171003_124848.jpg

KIMG0677.jpg
Finally got around to milling some of the145yo red maple that I took down a few weeks ago. This was the only log the dingo would get on the trailer. The bottom 20ish ft had to get bucked for firewood, almost made me sick. Really cool grain and the ambrosia in the sapwood turned out pretty nice too.

View attachment 82009
Finally got around to milling some of the145yo red maple that I took down a few weeks ago. This was the only log the dingo would get on the trailer. The bottom 20ish ft had to get bucked for firewood, almost made me sick. Really cool grain and the ambrosia in the sapwood turned out pretty nice too.

You can free hand rip a log into half the weight, then properly mill later. Roller logs do better than skid logs. Skid logs do a lot better than grass.

Back