Grippy texture on chainsaw handles

SeanKroll

Treehouser
I was a bit cold yesterday morning and was wearing Atlas gray thermal latex gloves. I found it sooo much harder to grip the smooth top-handle on the saw. Is it my imagination or would the top-handle and pistol-grips on rear handle saws be way better off with good friction built into them, rather than being smooth.

I can see the wrap-handle, which actually has a bit more texture, not being too grippy, as I slide my hand around that handle regularly during use to make use of the saw more ergonomically. Probably hard to make it "too grippy", though.

Anybody add texture to their saws handles?

Maybe paint-on bedliner paint would work. Re-coat-able, too.

A larger grip on the saws would be nicer, too, IMO.

I use those exact gloves sometimes...and the regular Atlas, too. I have not ever felt like they don't grip...I do think they increase grip efficiency about 30%...I can climb rope a LOT better with them than without.

But I have not had them slip on something unless I had oil on them...or maybe there was a light coating of dirt/sawdust on your gloves? Maybe I am misunderstanding "I found it sooo much harder to grip the smooth top-handle on the saw"

I've used the Atlas too, and I never noticed them not gripping.

But yes, a non-slip grabby textured handle WOULD be sweet!!!

I never used those latex/rubbery covered gloves because I found them slippery as hell in the wet. It's why I always used those white nylon cheapie gloves. Feel like cotton kind of but they're nylon, wring them out in the wet now and then and they are good to go. Buy them by the dozen and easy enough to have a spare set or two tucked into some nether region for warm dry swap outs on a cold wet day.

I cannot wear anything but leather gloves, summer and winter, one really wet day and they?re ruined of course.

No idea what those are, Justin. Maybe a link?

These look very similar to what I always got from the local saw shops. The different colours at the wrist indicated the different sizes. Despite the link pricing they were very, very cheap to buy. Like $20 for a pack of a dozen(24 gloves). They weren't hand specific and so you could swap hands to reverse them if desired. Just enough protection for me without sacrificing dexterity.

https://www.staples.ca/en/sureknit-...VlF5-Ch1OOwVREAQYAiABEgL-svD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Didn't you not really work in the rain much? Some people didn't mind the yellow gloves. I found the white ones to have more consistent grip, to be warmer, and wring out better.

In my youth I worked often for up to weeks straight in the rain that Sean and other PNW'ers know all to well.

I was the industrial first aid guy for one camp I worked in for three years(I let the ticket expire after that, to much grief/blood). I made a correlation between saw cuts and those yeller gloves. Not a fan. When a severe unexpected kickback occurs, grip becomes the most important factor of a glove. I'd expect kickbacks such as those to be much much less common in a urban environment vs the woods.

I've put time in with the yellow gloves, lots. Heaven forbid you get a drop of oil on those suckers while fueling up or handling gear.

Thanks, but no thanks!
For those of us who run saws all day, the ease of changing grip is a large part of how the saw works.
So if you start lobbying for grippy handles, please do your lobbying to Husqvarna only.

please do your lobbying to Husqvarna only.
Oh no you didn'it! I know you didn't just go there! But I am sure a strip or two of grip tape will fix it.
Honestly grip was never an issue wet or dry hot or cold. Bulk of the gloves more so. I really like ThremoGrips (I think) instead of Atlas grey gloves for cold work. Ill try and get a pic in the next day or so. Warmer better grip.

We used to rubber tape the handles on the old Macs but it was more to keep the damned things from making your fingers go numb from the vibrations .

I but the Kobalt brand black and gray utility gloves from Lowe's for about $10 a pair. I get 3-4 weeks out of them, so I usually buy 3-4 pair at a time. Leather grip and they hold up fairly well for cheapies. Mine always let go on the inside of the thumb first. Also, they are Chinese so they run small. I normally wear large but need extra large with these.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-X-Large-Men-s-Polyester-Leather-Palm-Work-Gloves/1000146355

Thanks, but no thanks!
For those of us who run saws all day, the ease of changing grip is a large part of how the saw works.
So if you start lobbying for grippy handles, please do your lobbying to Husqvarna only.

Sorry but I got to go with Stig on this one. I remember days where I was cutting subalpine fir and there was pitch on everything, including the handlebars. I hated not being able to slide my hand around so I would dump sawgas on the handlebars to get rid of it. I did occasionally see guys put grip tape on their handlebars but not very often.

Yep. Pitch sucks.

I like the handlebars just the way they are.

Like squish mentioned, most all cutters here wear nylon gloves. Leather sucks here, too slippery when wet.
I do wear atlas when climbing, just for better grip on ropes.

Gas or oil on grippy gloves can cause slippery issues. Clean the handle first, new gloves, see how you feel.
Been using the nitrile from WesSpur. Black and grey atlas gloves. They fit small, so up size when you order.
Again... gas or oil makes them lose grip.
http://www.wesspur.com/safety/climbing-gloves.html
clo637-500.gif

^ I wear something very similar to those but buy them off of ebay for a $1.20 a pair large order 10 dozen. I get about two or three weeks per pair. And their white.

Image.jpg By far the warmest low bulk gloves I have ever worn, great for saw and machines, but fairly short lived in the ropes. Maybe three trees until the rubber grip is wore thru and no longer water resistant but still warm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was doing some view-pruning on a steep slope. Could have been part of the equation that I had dirty gloves from the muddy slope. The large Atlas blues fit tighter than, at least this one pair of Atlas grays. I was one-handing a lot with a MS193t, while stabilizing my work-positioning with the other hand. Poor line-angle, and slippery. Different than typical tree work.

Thanks, but no thanks!

Do you change your grip on the rear-handle that much? I understand the front hand sliding around the wrap handle.

I am not talking velcro, by the way. But... just kidding.

Its not moss build-up, BTW, as its my daily go-to saw.

Back