Today I Learned...

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
It's simple enough - post whatever 'lil titbit of knowledge you may have learned recently that you'd like to share.

Today I learned that seasoned cast iron pans shouldn't be cleaned with soap - only hot water! No wonder they didn't work very well for me in the past - I was removing the seasoned part from the pan.

I learned that you can rent an RV to go from KS to FL, but you can't afford to buy the fuel to get it there.

Today I learned that seasoned cast iron pans shouldn't be cleaned with soap - only hot water! No wonder they didn't work very well for me in the past - I was removing the seasoned part from the pan.

Further. I've always understood that a light coating of oil in the bottom of the pan and a baking in the oven re-seasons them.

Further. I've always understood that a light coating of oil in the bottom of the pan and a baking in the oven re-seasons them.

....once seasoned up I never wash them, just burn off any residue, never use metal to cook on or serve out of as it kills the season layer..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

They recommend that you slather it in oil all over, top and bottom, them bake it upside down in a med-low oven with a drip pan underneath it.

You don't say. I'm sure that works well. I've seasoned a few over my lifetime with my basic method. It works too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can't imagine why they say season both sides. I guess that helps the oil to permeate the iron more thoroughly.

Cast iron does rock. I use mine daily. I will boil water in it when it gets bad and than wipe it down with a coat of oil.

I learned how the private prisons make money on the stock market today. :|: Seems a little counter productive.

Cast iron is porus,the grease soaks in .That black residue is basically carbon .You never give them the soap treatment .A little salt on a rag maybe .

FWIW I have my grandmothers skillet which was her grandmothers and likely about 140-150 years old.The sad part with a ceramic top stove can't use it .

I learned not to prune a tree with a broken neck. Ouch! Also that conspiracy theory is rampant here.

Laser Tattoo removal on one, possibly non-representative, website:

nothing more than a 4 square inch tattoo removal for the $1000 mark. A lot of 1 sq. in. tattoos of past clients for $600. Dang.

I learned that wearing boxer shorts and riding a horse with an English saddle in a gallop hurts.
I'll have to go shop for a pair of jockey shorts.

Seasoning cast iron, both in the oven or over a burner, which can be done too, is a good start to using a new one or when re-seasoning, but prolonged regular use (no wash) gives the best results of not sticking. Seasoning the back or lids is probably for the purpose of anti rust.

My waffle iron started acting up. Waffles sticking like crazy. Come to find out, my wife was "washing" it between uses. Took a while to get it seasoned again. She doesn't wash it anymore after I threw a fit. :)

Lard makes a better base for seasoning and early use of cast iron. Vegetable oil used instead dries. After the seasoning and a number of lard application, vegee oil seems to do the job better.

They recommend that you slather it in oil all over, top and bottom, them bake it upside down in a med-low oven with a drip pan underneath it.
I have always seasoned my cast iron at 400 it bakes on harder faster I like multiple light coats over an hour or two instead of a heavy layer.

I seem to recall that in the older days they would tell you to season with lard or cook a lot of bacon. Now it may not be so health fashionable to say that. I could see some lady suing Lodge cookware because her husband dropped dead.

Yes, we recently purchased a pre-seasoned Lodge. Apparently they do it in some kind of huge ovens. i didn't think the pre-seasoning was so great, though. I did it again inside my wood stove.

Back