Those Cali fires!!!

Just saw the info on the evening news here, looks nasty!

lotsa fires in Malibu etc, no fun indeed.

I didn't get evacuated this time, but I did have some trees to climb on Sunday in Malibu/Santa Monica Mountains area that I didn't get to climb.

We never had "fire season" in WI!!!!

love
nick

I didn't get evacuated this time, but I did have some trees to climb on Sunday in Malibu/Santa Monica Mountains area that I didn't get to climb.

We never had "fire season" in WI!!!!

love
nick

Hi Nick!

Jerry, we have the same phenomenon here. Everybody pays higher insurance rates to rebuild the houses on the coast after the hurricanes. At least we don't get hurricanes every year, I can't remember the last year that Cali didn't burn.

Recently a lot of insurance companies pulled their policies out from under the homeowners that live in the Russian River flood plains. I'm usually not one to go to bat for the insurance companies, but it floods every year in Gurneville and it's about time people take a little responsibility for where they chose to live. A few have actually raised their homes above the high water levels. And more are bound to follow.

Yup choose wisely where you plan to invest in a piece of earth. If I was a farmer I'd live on a flood plain, but I still wouldn't have my house sitting where it could be constantly flooded. I live about 1500' higher then our 'city' here, ya I get more snow but when it melts it all runs downhill into town. About the only thing I'm susceptible to would be fires, but I figure so many rich people are building new houses all around me that my shack will be well protected just for being in the 'neighborhood'.8)

A friend was contacted by his insurance company and told his premium was inadequate to cover for flood damage, because he lives by the Noyo River. He contacted them and said, "Yeah, I live next to the river alright, 200 feet above it!"

I foresee a huge shucking of responsibilities on behalf of the insurance industry coming for So. Cal. Ever court case, sought after repeated denials, will ultimately go to a bench of a Bush/Gonzales appointee who will favor the industry, not the policy holder.

I foresee a huge shucking of responsibilities on behalf of the insurance industry coming for So. Cal. Ever court case, sought after repeated denials, will ultimately go to a bench of a Bush/Gonzales appointee who will favor the industry, not the policy holder.

I agree with you Wilt.

Remember that case where the insurance company refused a claim because they said the water was 'riseing' water so it fell under the definition of flood water, not storm damage?

The suit was countered by making the point that without the storm there would be no riseing water!

Damm insurance companies never lose.

My understanding of the origin of the insurance companies began with Loyd's of London. They would approach a foundering ship and offer to 'save' it at the cost of the cargo of the ship.
If they said no, they would leave and all hands would be lost.

Also setting false lighthouse lights on the rocky shoreline to ground ships on the shoals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can't believe there isn't a fireproof shingle yet. On a brick home, you could sit and watch the fire blow through.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So why don't the building codes force those asbestos shingles on people living in areas that routinely burn?

They do, MB. Wood shingles are outlawed in new construction. Folks having wood shingles on their homes prior to this law, well, have them.

Drag racer Don Phrudomme's house is in danger. Any Cali TreeHousers being evacuated? I can hardly believe these fires.

"Also setting false lighthouse lights on the rocky shoreline to ground ships on the shoals." Frans

That's how Key West became to be!!

Sounds like the fires will start abating by tomorrow night...when the Santa Anna's die down...according to the NWS.

What's really sad is the intensity of some of the Big Bear fires, those Ponderosa forests won't come back.

Strange-

I just got of the phone with 2 clients in consecutive converstations.

I was calling them to schedule work. They both sounded shaken up when they answered....

The first client told me she has relatives whom are fire fighters and are working the SoCal fires.
The second told me her neice was just informed to evacuate her home due to the fires.

It was just odd to speak with 2 different people within a 10 minute timespan, both residing here in Minnesota yet still very affected by the SoCal fires. Small world I guess.

One acre of Manzanita burning has more thermal energy than the bomb dropped on Hiroshima, Asbestos don't help once that heat source gets going. Concrete will burn, everything burns once enough heat is present. Either the winds will lay down or they will drive the front to the Pacific. What I find curious is why there is no outcry about how the government has left these people hanging, where are the bleeding hearts? Folks who have not gotten to work the Southzone fires would be truly impressed, Imagine lava moving downhill at 80mph.

I would like to see sat. photos of the fires.
Anyone know if their are any?

Nick the splicer is surrounded by fires but he is o.k.

Back