WTB 090

Peter

Treehouser
Any leads?

Want a good, running example, not interested in cosmetics. Will take a chance on ebay if no-one has a lead on one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Both! Actually sold all the timber from this tree, but hopefully have some more coming up.

Shepreth021Small.jpg

880 would be second choice, nothing quite matches an 090 for power and torque for milling though.

Plus it's a cool saw to have in the collection.

I have milled a lot of wood with 076s, both double powerheads and a single on. Not exactly the power of an 090, but if you can't find the 090, but the 075 or 076 is available, you won't suffer much. I think it is 111 ccs? The guy that built my mill , Sperber mills, supplied 076's with it, I think he gave a reason over the 090s. After close to thirty years the saws still run solid, or one does, I did something stupid with the other. Subsequently I acquired another one, I have run them hard, full days of milling in very hot weather...no problemo! A fine falling saw for big wood as well. I have an 090G, and have milled with it. Lots of torque, but slow chain speed, being a gear reduced saw. It is also a VERY heavy saw, and with that little can for a muffler, quite loud. I like the 076 better for milling, very reliable for infrequent use, it will always start. If you do get one, some of them came without a decomp, especially the earlier 075. :|: I also have an 880, but with the 076, there is no need to stick the 880 on the mill. It mostly sits looking pretty and unused. All superfluous information if you are set on an 090, Good luck in your search.

Thanks Jay, all good info. I suppose the real reason I want an 090 is because its the biggest, and an icon of big timber falling. (But mostly because its the biggest)

Perhaps I'll look for an 076 too.....

Thanks Jay, all good info. I suppose the real reason I want an 090 is because its the biggest, and an icon of big timber falling. (But mostly because its the biggest)

Perhaps I'll look for an 076 too.....

If you are talking "big timber icons" how about a Mac 125 or a Disston maybe a Titan perhaps ;) either way I wish you luck in finding a 090.

Just in case this might be a 3rd choice. I got a stock 084 that came in and taking up a lot of shelf space. Starts, runs, cuts like it suppose to. I cant find anything wrong to tell about.

84350371031 001.JPG 84350371031 003.JPG 84350371031 007.JPG 84350371031 005.JPG

How much including to ship to UK?

I bet shipping will be a killer. It cost $110 to mail a small 346 to Australia.

You want a price with the like new 30" es bar and 404 chain or just PHO powerhead only?

I'm thinking bar would be best in a separate box if so.

Max box that can go out now. Max. length 60", max. length plus girth combined 108"

If you are going to rip that monster of a tree into lumber you are looking at a tremendous amount of work with a chainsaw .Even with a portable band sawmill it would be a duanting task plus you'd still need to rip down small enough to fit in the mill .

Always avoided chainsaw milling for that very reason, tried it once 15 years ago and decided it wasnt my thing. However I would like to make one or two things on a smaller scale, I have some nice cedar sat in the yard begging to be turned into an outdoor table and bench set.

Milling is a funny bird. It can go smoothly or there can be a lot of down time for one reason or another.....hitting stuff or mill/saw problems. Murphy's law really seems to apply. I think the biggest redeeming factor is that you can take a mill to the tree location, it doesn't have to be the reverse. If you have the time to mill, the slabs do stack up. If it is good material, and especially if the wood is only obtainable by milling, I think it is well worth it. I think a double powehead type with two friends doing it, maybe splitting the results, is a good way to go. A surplus of power and in sync does indeed help. One person can mill with a double powerhead, but I wouldn't recommend it. :|: Heavy awkward weight, getting on and off the log verges on dangerous.

I tried a little bit of chainsaw milling using both a Mac 125 and that 2100 Homelite in my avatar .Both of them have oodles of power but in 18" oak I could only get about a foot a minute at best .The planks came out smoother than if they had been cut with a circular saw but it certainly was lot of work .

I tried a little bit of chainsaw milling using both a Mac 125 and that 2100 Homelite in my avatar .Both of them have oodles of power but in 18" oak I could only get about a foot a minute at best .The planks came out smoother than if they had been cut with a circular saw but it certainly was lot of work .

I milled up some 26" red oak that was 24'6" or 25', can't remember, into 4" slabs for a foot bridge and each cut was a full tank of gas running a 385 at about a foot a minute. They turned out nice but haven't really milled anything sense.

I find it very satisfying to mill up wood I've downed. My tack room floor is all nice fir that I took from standing to its current use. Gives one a true feeling of independence.

Back