Anyone else preserving atm?

24 Large red onions
3 Chillis
6 Bay leaves
75ml olive oil
600g muscavado sugar
450ml balsalmic vinegar
450ml red wine vinegar

All cooked up in my stock pot, its the only pan I have thats big enough!

I think one has to be a meat eater to enjoy chutney.
I have never been able to appreciate it.

Man, that sound weird and gooooood at the same time.
I'll have to try that.

We used to make it at the Mansion all the time for parties Stig. You split the wheel of Brie on the plane of the wheel and sandwich the chutney in the middle. Wrap in puff pastry and bake... Just until the pastry is golden brown, Little rich, but yummy. I imagine you can use other cheeses as well.

Here is the basic idea :)

http://nancyvienneau.com/blog/recipes/chutney-stuffed-brie-in-puff-pastry-holiday-style/

DSC_0109_edited2.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sounds good to me!

Chutney goes very well with strong cheese, this one is apparently excellent with goats cheese.

Seriously Stig, chutney is awesome with lots of non meat dishes. My wife bakes bread to a Swedish recipe, with strong cheddar and her green tomato chutney, it is the food of the gods.

Maybe I've never come across the right kind of chutney.
I'll have to do some exploring. Especially since you both mention strong cheese, I'm inordinately fond of cheese.

Maybe I've never come across the right kind of chutney.
I'll have to do some exploring. Especially since you both mention strong cheese, I'm inordinately fond of cheese.
Send me your address again, and I'll post you some your way. I would imagine you get quite a lot of green tomatoes in your greenhouse, and its an excellent way of utilising them.

Mango and chillie chutney goes great with Indian food or cheese.

Chutney, red onions, lettuce and cheese sandwiches are one of my lunch favourites.:)

Back