storm damaged maple

Labour of Love

Treehouser
So, I was asked to look at this tree and give an opinion because "the tree guy will always tell you to take it down". I went, I looked, and I agree with the tree guy.

It had 3 ±15" leaders (all grown together, possibly even 3 trees originally) and the tree is 60 feet tall with no canopy below 35 feet. There is a partly dead area 20 or so feet off the ground with a raccoon family living in it.

One of the three leaders failed in a big storm 2 days ago. The resulting opening is large enough for a 250 lb. man to easily fit in. Light can be seen through the remaining spars in two places at 6' above ground level. I hope the pix do it justice - it's one of the scariest trees I've seen in a while and could easily fail onto a historic building.

Opinions welcomed and thanks in advance. IMG_0003.jpg IMG_0005.jpg IMG_0004.jpg

Last edited:
How thick is the live wood around the worst cavities? It looks like it may not be safe to climb in order to remove it.

Just fill the cavity with concrete and it should be good for a few more years.

Is it just me or do you guys also feel like Captain Obvious when you point to a massive cavity like this and have to explain to the customer why massive decay is bad.

It's just you, Sean. Everyone else has intelligent customers...wonder why the dummies all flock to you? :D

Not much question there, Kate...begone, tree.

We have so many raccoons we think about destroying habitat. Ever since the fur price dropped 20 some years ago we have been overrun. They drop rabies bait from planes to keep them healthy. Cute little buggers, but too many is a bad thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I will be printing this 'conversation' out and giving it to the owners with an explanation about the sarky cavity-filling posts. I did the once-over as a favor to a client who's friends with the tree's owners - not even billable. Drat! Perhaps the goodwill will translate to some future work.

You all have made my job of explaining to them a lot easier. Many thanks.

Well besides the tree you certainly need not worry about the racoons .Old brer coon is just about the most adaptable animal on the planet .They could care less if they live in a tree or the trunk of a '57 Chevy .

Wood rat.... Makes a nest of sticks at the base of trees and in rocks and branches near the ground. BIG NESTS.
Wood rat...
woodrat.GIF

Tree rat or fruit rat .. Yup.. That would be another one...
Used to get those in our orange orchard at my grandmas down south. Those were done away with prejudice.
Tree Rat....
Golden%20backed%20Tree%20Rat.jpg

Not to be confused with a Sqwerl :lol:

Those pics don't tell much. Need to see the cavity in relationship to the tree. Doesn't look good from your description and the very minimalist photos. An overview shot to get the scope of the cavity would go a long way.

jp:D

Those pics don't tell much. Need to see the cavity in relationship to the tree. Doesn't look good from your description and the very minimalist photos. An overview shot to get the scope of the cavity would go a long way.

jp:D

Agreed, but I was coming from one job & on the way to another and not anticipating the need for a ladder. No lie, a 250 lb. 6' tall person could easily fit into the cavity and you might see the top of his head.

From your description it sounds like a poor candid ate for retention. a pic of the whole tree would be nice.

From your description it sounds like a poor candid ate for retention. a pic of the whole tree would be nice.

Here ya go. I could only get far enough away from one direction to get the entire tree in one frame. So, the pics that seem to be half a tree are exactly that - one half followed by the other half.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg