Tree of holes

NorthWoodsDiver

TreeHouser
Check out what this wood pecker has done in less than 1 month. some of the chips on the ground were 2 to 3 inches long. Sorry I didn't shrink the photos, I'm having technical difficulties tonight.

side 1:

Tkersting18

side 2:

Tkersting18

Those images were taken 3 weeks ago and he is still going to town on the poor tree. there was nothing and then there was this. My grand father walks by this tree on a daily basis and still has never seen the culprit. T

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pileated Woodpecker. Listen for hammering if he lives close by. They are shy and elusive. Easily spooked and about impossible to sneak up on.

This tree is about 100ft from 2 homes. No one has heard anything.

Somehow I doubt that aliens did it but the Keebler Elves wouldn't surprise me much.

Is the prevailing wind away from the houses? I am always surprised how far sound will carry on the wind or the opposite. I can hear a train whistle 15 miles if the wind is favorable. My bud lives about 12 miles from a dirt race track. We live about 2 miles and can hear it plain as day. He told me he can hear it. I found it hard to buy. I was over at his house and heard it.

My guess would be aliens or Ivory billed woodpeckers.

Both are about as likely.

Conifers don't sound as loud as a hardwood with a pileated hammering on them, especially if there is decay...
We have a couple come through each Spring and Fall; almost impossible to get close enough for a good picture.

Woody here let me get within 30'.
They look like really big guys, mb knee high.
I was on foot anly about 600 7oo yards form a 4 lane highway.
Prior to this only seen one way off in the distance.
Cool birds!

Attachments

• Woody.jpg
    Woody.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 56
I have them working outside my shop on the Oaks and Chestnuts. Pretty amazing that those birds don't get migraines.

My grand father walks by this tree on a daily basis and still has never seen the culprit.

Have you looked at the base of the tree, surely whatever is eating that much must be pooping. Could give you an idea.

check out this page

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Have you looked at the base of the tree, surely whatever is eating that much must be pooping. Could give you an idea.

check out this page

The day these pics were taken things were covered with snow but one it melted I only noticed a 3" deep pile of chips. I don't instinctively think to examine poo, too often.

Back