What pine is this?

sotc

Dormant hero!!
We have a few of these around, they are very pitchy when cut. 2 needle pine and do well. I have seen them up to about 30" DBH and 40' tall, 55' across. Any of you recognize it?

Attachments

• 2011-02-28 12.05.02.jpg
    2011-02-28 12.05.02.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • 2011-02-28 12.14.02.jpg
    2011-02-28 12.14.02.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think so, these are definatly green needles, in the spring the green really stands out. They usually have very wide spreading canopies. This is a small one, maybe I will get a pic of a bigger one today

I dunno?

The needles grow in pairs, are blue-green in colour and about 5 cm. (2 inches) in length. They normally remain on the trees for 2-3 years, with the old needles turning yellow in September or October before they are shed. Drops of sticky resin often cover the tree's buds, and also provide a natural preservative for the wood: if a Scots pine dies while it is still standing, the skeleton can persist for 50 or even 100 years before falling down, because the high resin content in the sap makes the wood very slow to decay.

Scots pine is unusual amongst conifers in having a number of different mature growth forms, ranging from tall and straight-trunked with few side branches, to broad, spreading trees with multiple trunks. Eleven different growth forms, or habit types, have been identified for Scots pine in Scotland, and many of these can easily be seen in the pinewood remnants. Young Scots pines display the characteristically conical shape of conifers, but as the trees mature, this gives way to the flat- or round-topped shapes which are typical of the pines in the ancient Caledonian Forest remnants.

In good situations on mainland Europe, Scots pine can grow to 36 metres (120 feet) in height, but in most of the pinewood remnants in Scotland today the largest trees are about 20 metres (65 feet) tall, with exceptional trees recorded up to 27 metres (90 feet). Maximum girth at breast height is usually up to 2.4 metres (8 feet), although some trees up to 3.6 metres (12 feet) have been recorded

Interesting, i'll look deeper there, thanks

Looks like its an Italian stone pine8)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_pine
stone+pine.JPG

Stone%2BPine.jpg

I'll hazard a guess and say we don't have those up here as my defense. Scots are somewhat popular up here and do well.

Yeah, we have those also but this one is no where near as common. Just enough to make me decide to try to figure out what it is

Unless your version of Scotts pine Pinus sylvestris is different from the original, I'm 99,9% sure it is not one of those.
I've killed my share of them, and they don't look like that.

I had a client give me a handful of italian stone pine seeds once, they grew for about 8 months and got killed by an early hard frost.

Thats close but I think its the stone pine. I just can't seem to find out haw many needles per fascicles on the stone pine

I was thinking Austrian pine too. Its so common I didn't want guess it though.

Might be Pinus nigra, the Corsican or Black pine, but its growth shape seems wrong. We have millions of those round here.

The needles are too short and the bunches not "filled out" enough for a P. nigra.

It is one of my "bread and butter" trees. They were planted around almost all the new houses buildt in the 60es. By now they are too big for amateurs to handle and the houses get sold, because the original owners got old.

So we remove a lot of them.
Nice easy trees to take down, both stems and branches hinge really well.

No, I meant it .
You can cut the branches from the top, and they'll end up hanging vertically down, before they are cut through.
P. sylvestris has very brittle branches, a little cut on the topside and off they fly.

Back