More time in the kitchen

Bermy

Acolyte of the short bar
Well, since the move down under, I've been having some time off!

I do like to bake and cook as does my hubby, so far this week we've made a batch of rhubarb fizz, two pumpkin pies from scratch, a load of oatmeal raisin coconut cookies, and munching on the dried apples he made from the last crop.

There are about 50 bunches of grapes on the vine, the apple tree is loaded again, apricots suffered from not being limed earlier, blackcurrants are starting...

All I can say is WOW, the temperate zone is popping!

Heading off to camp at Lake Peder for a couple of days, plenty of cookies to take!

Tasmanian beef is pretty good, what they were importing here. I like it better than the US raised, but you don't really get the best grades coming in, they want a cheaper alternative to the local grown. I imagine that over there you have a lot better choice.

I promise not to make any cracks about how a woman's place is in the kitchen and definitely no cracks about making me a sammich. ;)

It's the after effects of the anesthesia, I swear.

That would be good, Jay.....your daughter would HATE you.....how 'bout Anastasia instead. It could be your little secret.

I love baking too....but I can only do it when I have someone to give it to. I hate for anything to go to waist. :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ha ha...you lot are funny!

The sad thing is, we have to keep eating and it all disappears, so I have to make more, and, and...

We has some steak the other night, sirloin I think it was...as Mr. Bermy has yet to build the BBQ (haha)...I grilled it, with olive oil, garlic salt and pepper...salad to offset the damage, it was very surprisingly tender for a cheap cut! The next night I made stir fry with the leftovers, again, very tender...I'm happy!

Now Mr. Bermy put the leftover rhubarb from making rhubarb 'champagne' in his latest lot of oatmeal, rasin, coconut cookies, the darn things are more like cakes than cookies! But yummy.

The latest additions...we stayed over with some friends who live in the country, came home with

FRESH: Lamb, venison and wallaby(hoppy meat) the wallaby is going in the pressure cooker today!
Gawd, my feet haven't left the ground for three weeks, I'm running the risk of putting on some weight...

Don't be too jealous...big sacrifices have happened to make what seems super cool a reality, nothing like living on a knife edge, but hey, if we don't go for it while we can, we'll be living with regret while dribbling into our cans of Ensure!

Wallaby stew was made...we cooked the meat in the pressure cooker first...25mins and it came out really tender.
Then silver beet leaves, snow peas, sweet potato, regular potato, brocolli, carrots, thyme, garlic, all boiled in the stock, add the meat, a bit of gravy mix...yumm! It was very similar to beef, but with a stronger flavour.

Wallaby stew was made...we cooked the meat in the pressure cooker first...25mins and it came out really tender.
Then silver beet leaves, snow peas, sweet potato, regular potato, brocolli, carrots, thyme, garlic, all boiled in the stock, add the meat, a bit of gravy mix...yumm! It was very similar to beef, but with a stronger flavour.

Hi Fiona. Glad you're enjoying it down there! Hey if you find the wallaby meat a bit gamey you can mince it up 50/50 with beef. Comes up really well like that.
There is certainly some good food down that way but the really good beef all over Australia gets exported as a rule to the US and Japan.
My avatar photo was taken down near Huonville, south of Hobart.

Hey Matt, glad you made it to the Tree House! If you put a post in the Announcements you'll get a proper welcome!
Yes, the wallaby was strong, but good all the same...
Homemade rhubarb champers last night for New Years.

Back