Sick Maples

• Thread starter TreeDimensional
  • Start date
  • Replies 7
  • Views 2K
T

TreeDimensional

I was asked to do an impromptu site visit, so my apologies for the poor quality pic. There are approximatly 50 five yr old Acer negundo (Manitoba maple/Box elder) trees planted as shelterbelt trees.

They appear to grow like gang busters and then die off later in the season. The other trees and bushes (Pines and Chokecherry) appear to be fine. The Maples are on irrigation. Glean (ag herbicide) that is now banned, as the result of residual build-up, causing the same effect in cereal grains, has been used on this soil.

Any ideas?

Is the Glean what caused it, or are you asking? I have heard of it, but not familiar. Boy are we in trouble if we can't get Manitoba Maple to grow!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's what I thought too Bob! I doubt it is the Glean, you would see that in all the other species. Like I said, it was impromptu, so I didn't have a couple of my tools, like a magnifying glass! I think it's insect!

Would Box Elder Beetle do that? I have seen lots of BEB but never any damage associated with 'em!!!

I'm surprised...here, they grow like mad dogs no matter, what, we have some manitous so friggin huge you would not believe it.

Can't kill them for love nor money :)

This is one of those DIY homeowners. Ummm, I doubt they would listen to anything I said. The other newer trees in have had to develop secondary root to make up for the one half way to China!

They aren't being drowned by the irrigation, planted over a good old plains hard pan slough and too deep? However, again we are looking at a tree that normally tolerates flooding. Bug wise, about all I ever see is a little dieback from Boxelder twig borer galls.

It was a record summer for rainfall, but the soil wasn't drenched when I was there. The HO said they have done this for 3 yrs. They are planted deep.

Back