EAB contol with wasps

I hope it works but I worry about introducing another new species. Hopefully when they eradicate the EAB, these wasps starve and die rather than evolve to go after some other species.

Something similar has just started in New Zealand to control a eucalyptus grub.

[Two of the species kill the pests by inserting their eggs into emerald ash borer larvae.]

Works like that. I have it somewhere.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Too little too late. Normal bureauracracy stuff. It would be nice not to loose the species, like the American Chesnut and Elm. We get small ones but they never live to be mature.

Went to a training session on EAB in St. Paul last Thursday. Very interesting to see up close the things I had only read about. It will definitely be a problem in our area, where most cities are near 50% ash trees. Just not a whole lot of trees that like the cool temperatures and little rainfall. I think the moisture issue is harder on them than the cold.

I hope it works but I worry about introducing another new species. Hopefully when they eradicate the EAB, these wasps starve and die rather than evolve to go after some other species.

They're working on a genetically modified "super" spider as we speak, to control the wasps.

The spray has to be systemic or work on eggs, which don't eat much. Right now the Bayer Tree and Shrub seems to work best. A bit cashy for a forest however.

Sadly it's all too late in the great lakes states .Within a few years you'll not find one living ash tree I fear .

You get cheap chit from some third world country which is shipped in packing crates which contain parisites .Then you get a wasp to eat that parasite ,then a spider to keep those in check .

All the while these bugs will mutate and turn into a super bug, then what ? Maybe a race of super birds to eat the super bug that by then will be the size of a cat and can devour anything from weeds to telephone poles .

Don't you have rules concerning pallets and packing crates?

The pallet I got from the US last week was accompanied by a certificate stating that it had been heat treated.
Wouldn't have let it into the country otherwise.

The wasps are non-stinging and are native to the N. American continent!

Too late, ever hear of "Snowbirds"? They usually congregate along the Gulf or in the desert!!!:/:

Some are "Illegal Aliens" from the "other" border!;)

Back